#4931 - Sunday, May 26, 2013

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2013

      Nonduality Highlights Issue #4931, Sunday, May 26, 2013

      When I observe some of our behavior, it really looks to me as if human beings want to suffer. Judging from the way we act, we do not seem to be truly interested in being happy... We seem to want to keep the painful experience of anger alive and close, and keep kindness and happiness at bay. We act as if we treasure suffering, so whenever we find it, we don't want to let it go.

      ... We are operating on the mistaken assumption of who we are is really this angry, disturbed person. But we do not have to be that person... At any moment, we have the option of being different; we can be a person who is not angry or disturbed. Let yourself be that other person - a person who treasures true happiness, kindness and tranquility.

      - His Holiness 17th Karmapa, from The Heart of Noble, posted to DailyDharma

      To find a pearl dive deep into the ocean
      don't look in fountains.
      To find a pearl you must
      emerge from the water of life always thirsty.

      - Rumi from Rumi - Whispers of the Beloved, selected and translated by Azima Melita Kolin and Maryam Mafi, posted to AlongTheWay

      A man who is given a stone and assured that it is a priceless diamond will be mightily pleased until he realizes his mistake; in the same way pleasures lose their tang and pains their barb when the self is known. Both are seen as they are--conditional responses, mere reactions, plain attractions and repulsions, based on memories or preconceptions. Usually pleasure and pain are experienced when expected. It is all a matter of acquired habits and convictions.

      When you are discontent, you always want more, more, more. Your desire can never be satisfied. But when you practice contentment, you can say to yourself, "Oh yes - I already have everything that I really need."

      - H.H. the Dalai Lama, posted to DailyDharma

      The lower self philosophizes:
      beat it for its own good,
      arguing with it doesn't help.
      It witnesses a prophet's miracle
      and momentarily glows with belief;
      but later on says, "That was just imagination;
      for if that incredible sight had been real,
      it would have lasted--it would have remained before my eyes."
      It is lasting in the eyes of the pure,
      but it doesn't haunt the eyes of animals.
      Miracles keep their distance from bodily senses:
      would a peacock stay in a ditch?

      - Rumi, Mathnawi II: 3500-3504 version by Camille and Kabir Helminski from Rumi: Daylight, posted to Sunlight

      What has been sought all along is found to be none other than this which is the seeking. The ultimate goal or prize turns out to be what already is. There is nothing and no one to find. There is awareness with no one being aware. All along You have been the butt of Your own cosmic joke. The magnificence of all appearances, everywhere you look and seek is simply Your own play or dream of being. There is nothing and no one and yet there is awareness whereby everything appears, including this appearance as an ordinary man or woman. You are, and always have been, completely awake, and present, but merely mesmerised by Your own cosmic play.

      - Nathan Gill from Already Awake, posted to AlongTheWay