#4929 - Friday, May 24, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

  • Jerry K
    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2013
      #4929 - Friday, May 24, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Today's writings were found on a place called Facebook

      Catherine Noyce posted the following writing by Aldous Huxley from Antic Hay (1923)

      'There are quiet places also in the mind', he said meditatively. 'But we build bandstands and factories on them. Deliberately — to put a stop to the quietness. ... All the thoughts, all the preoccupations in my head — round and round, continually What's it for? What's it all for? To put an end to the quiet, to break it up and disperse it, to pretend at any cost that it isn't there. Ah, but it is; it is there, in spite of everything, at the back of everything. Lying awake at night — not restlessly, but serenely, waiting for sleep — the quiet re-establishes itself, piece by piece; all the broken bits ... we've been so busily dispersing all day long. It re-establishes itself, an inward quiet, like the outward quiet of grass and trees. It fills one, it grows — a crystal quiet, a growing, expanding crystal. It grows, it becomes more perfect; it is beautiful and terrifying ... For one's alone in the crystal, and there's no support from the outside, there is nothing external and important, nothing external and trivial to pull oneself up by or stand on ... There is nothing to laugh at or feel enthusiastic about. But the quiet grows and grows. Beautifully and unbearably. And at last you are conscious of something approaching; it is almost a faint sound of footsteps. Something inexpressively lovely and wonderful advances through the crystal, nearer, nearer. And, oh, inexpressively terrifying. For if it were to touch you, if it were to seize you and engulf you, you'd die; all the regular, habitual daily part of you would die .... one would have to begin living arduously in the quiet, arduously in some strange, unheard of manner.

      Aldous Huxley "Antic Hay" (1923)

      ------------------------------------

      Francis Bennett wrote

      One simple way of describing what it means to "be awake" is to say that an awakened one has absolutely no resistance to life, no matter what form it may take. This is absolute surrender, this is loving what is, simply because it is. Now this does NOT mean you don't do something to improve or change a situation, but simply that while you do, even that, there is absolutely no resistance to the way it is now. We don't get this when we look at it with the mind because the mind believes that, unless there is resistance, we would never be motivated to change anything. But when there is really no resistance to life, there is no resistance to the situation AND, at the same time, there is the knowing that something needs to be done to change it, and there is no resistance to that either. So, if you are about to get punched in the face, you accept completely that you are about to possibly get punched AND...... you duck! If you have a headache, you completely accept that you have a headache AND....... you take an aspirin or a Tylenol!

      Like a master martial artist, you flow with all of life and whatever energy you encounter. You even flow with those people or things that seem to be opposing you. When you accept what is, completely and absolutely, the very energy that seems to be in opposition to you can be used to change any situation for the better. The mind that has no resistance is calm and at peace and knows what the most skillful thing to do is. It even knows if "doing nothing" is the best thing to do, which sometimes, it is.

      ---------------------

      Mace Mealer

      There are no Giants here.
      A Giant would have no more use