#4924 - Monday, May 20, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , May 20 9:11 PM

      #4924 - Monday, May 20, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Don't surrender your loneliness so quickly. Let it cut you more deep.
      Let it ferment and season you as few humans and even divine ingredients can.
      Something missing in my heart tonight has made my eyes so soft,
      my voice so tender, my need for God absolutely clear.

      "This is the kind of Friend You are -
      Without making me realize my soul's anguished history,
      You slip into my house at night,
      And while I am sleeping,
      You silently carry off all my suffering and sordid past in Your beautiful Hands."

      "Hey you, parrot! speaking in riddles,
      Sugar wouldn't melt in your mouth!

      Clear your head so your heart will be happy,
      And then mimic the words of the Beloved!

      To everyone who walks by, you have given mixed messages;
      For God's sake, tell us something we don't know."

      ~Hafiz

      "Perhaps the most important thing we bring to another person is the silence in us,
      not the sort of silence that is filled with unspoken criticism or hard withdrawal.
      The sort of silence that is a place of refuge, of rest, of acceptance of someone as
      they are. We are all hungry for this other silence. It is hard to find. In its
      presence we can remember something beyond the moment, a strength on which to
      build a life. Silence is a place of great power and healing ."

      ~ Rachel Naomi Remen

      Regret

      is a short, evocative and achingly beautiful word; an elegy to lost possibilities even
      in its brief annunciation, it is also a rarity and almost never heard except where
      the speaker insists that they have none, that they are brave and forward looking
      and could not possibly imagine their life in any other way than the way it is. To
      admit regret is to understand we are fallible: that there are powers in the world
      beyond us: to admit regret is to lose control not only of a difficult past but of the
      very story we tell about our present; and yet strangely, to admit sincere and
      abiding regret is one of our greatest but unspoken contemporary sins.

      The rarity of honest regret may be due to our contemporary emphasis on the
      youthful perspective; it may be that a true, useful regret is not a possibility or a
      province of youth; that it takes a hard-won maturity to experience the depths of
      the emotion in ways that do not overwhelm and debilitate us but put us into a
      proper, more generous relationship with the future. Except for brief senses of
      having missed a tide, having hurt another, having taken what is not ours, youth is not
      yet ready for the rich current of abiding regret that runs through and emboldens a
      mature human life.

      Sincere regret may in fact be a faculty for paying attention to the future, for
      sensing a new tide where we missed a previous one, for experiencing timelessness
      with a grandchild where we neglected a boy of our own. To regret fully is to
      appreciate how high the stakes are in even the average human life; fully
      experienced regret turns our eyes, attentive and alert to a future possibly lived
      better than our past.

      From Readers' Circle Essay, "Regret" ©2011 David Whyte