#4910, Sunday - May 5, 2013

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2013

      Nonduality Highlights Issue #4910, Sunday, May 5, 2013

      When John Daido Loori was a monk at the Los Angeles Zen Center, he remarked one day to Maezumi Roshi: " I have resolved the question of life and death."

      "Are you sure?" Maezumi asked.

      "Yes,"replied Loori.

      "Are you really sure?:

      Absolutely," Loori answered.

      With that, Maezumi threw himself violently upon Loori and began to strangle him. Gasping for breath, Loori struggled to escape, but to no avail. Finally he swung back his fist and struck his teacher, knocking him aside.

      Maezumi rose to his feet and brushed himself off. "Resolved the question of life and death, eh?" he laughed, and walked off.

      Later, still bearing the marks of his teacher's fingers on his throat, Loori passed a senior monk, Genpo Sensei.

      On seeing the bruises, Genpo did a double take. "Told Roshi you'd resolved the question of life and death, did you?" he said and strode away laughing.

      - Sean Murphy from One Bird, One Stone: 108 American Zen Stories

      You Are the unchanging Awareness in which all activities takes place.
      To deny this is to suffer, to know this is Freedom.

      It is not difficult to realize this because it is your True Nature.
      Simply Inquire 'Who am I?' and Watch Carefully.
      Do not make effort and do not stir a thought.
      Look within, approach with all-devotion and stay as Heart.
      Keep vigilant and you will see that nothing will arise.

      This is the trick of how to keep the mind quiet
      and how to win Freedom. This doesn't take time
      because Freedom is always Here.
      You simply have to watch: where does mind arise from?
      Where does thought come from? What is the source of this thought?
      Then you will see that you have always been Free
      and that everything has been a dream.

      - Papaji from The Truth Is

      If the doors of perception were cleansed
      everything would appear to man as it is,
      infinite.

      - William Blake, posted to AlongTheWay

      When one begins to practice simplicity, the ego is deprived of the very strategy by which it sustains itself. Nothing will deflate the ego more effectively than to be recognized for what it is. It lives by pretension. It dies when the mask is torn away and the stark reality is exposed to the gaze of others. Simplicity also avails in braking the tyranny of things. Ostentation, artificiality, ornamentation, pretentious style, luxury--all require things. One requires few things to be one's self, one's age, and one's moral, intellectual, or spiritual stature. What one is does not depend on what one has.

      Albert E. Day

      People individually and collectively are entitled to life in all abundance. El Dorado, a country rich beyond all precedent in gold and jewels, lies at every person's door. Your bonanza lies under your feet. Your luck is already at hand. All is within; nothing is without.

      - Herbert Seibert

      The universe cannot be miserly. It cannot be wanting. It holds nothing but abundance. It is perfect love, and perfect love is absolute, eternal giving.

      - Emmanuel

      Today I know that I cannot control the ocean tides. I can only go with the flow. . . . When I struggle and try to organize the Atlantic to my specifications, I sink. If I flail and thrash and growl and grumble, I go under. But, if I let go and float, I am borne aloft.

      Marie Stilkind

      Life has no other discipline to impose, if we would but realize it, than to accept life unquestioningly. Everything we shut our eyes to, everything we run away from, everything we deny, denigrate, or despise, serves to defeat us in the end. What seems nasty, painful, evil, can become a source of beauty, joy, and strength, if faced with an open mind. Every moment is a golden one for those who have the vision to recognize it as such.

      Henry Miller