Issue #4910 - Sunday, May 5, 2013

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2013

      Nonduality Highlights Issue #4910, Sunday, May 5, 2013

      Even when luck is with you and you're powerful,
      still, Prosperity is other than you are:
      one day it departs and leaves you poor.
      O you who've been chosen, be your own good fortune!
      When you have become your own wealth, O man of Reality,
      then how will you, who are Prosperity, lose yourself?
      How will you lose yourself, O man of good qualities,
      when your essence is your wealth and your kingdom?

      - Rumi, Mathnawi IV: 1109-1112, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski from Rumi: Jewels of Remembrance, posted to Sunlight

      All the joy the world contains
      Has come through wishing happiness for others.
      All the misery the world contains
      Has come through wanting pleasure for oneself.

      ~Shantideva from The Heart of Compassion, posted to DailyDharma

      Love With No Object

      There is a way of loving not attached to what is loved.
      Observe how water is with

      the ground, always moving toward the ocean, though the ground
      tries to hold water's foot

      and not let it go. This is how we are with wine and beautiful
      food, wealth and power,

      or just a dry piece of bread: we want and we get drunk with
      wanting, then the headache

      and bitterness afterward. Those prove that the attachment took
      hold and held you back. Now you

      proudly refuse help. "My love is pure. I have an intuitive
      union with God. I don't need

      anyone to show me how to be free!" This is not the case.
      A love with no object

      is a true love. All else, shadow without substance. Have you
      seen someone fall in

      love with his own shadow? That's what we've done. Leave
      partial loves and find one

      that's whole. Where is someone who can do that? They're
      so rare, those hearts that carry

      the blessing and lavish it over everything. Hold out your
      beggar's robe and accept

      their generosity. Anything not coming from that will damage
      the cloth, like a sharp stone

      tearing your sincerity. Keep that intact, and use clarity;
      call it reason or discernment,

      you have within you a deciding force that knows what to
      receive, what to turn from.

      - Rumi, Mathnawi III: 2248-80 version by Coleman Barks from The Soul of Rumi, posted to Sunlight

      Love is a state of Being. Your love is not outside;
      it is deep within you.
      You can never lose it, and it cannot leave you.

      It is not dependent on some other body, some external form.
      In the stillness of your presence,
      you can feel your own formless and timeless reality
      as the unmanifested life that animates your physical form.
      You can then feel the same life
      deep within every other human and every other creature.

      You look beyond the veil of form and separation.
      This is the realization of oneness.
      This is love.

      ~Eckhart Tolle, posted to The_Now2

      The whole thing is to love God and taste His sweetness.
      He is sweetness and the devotee is its enjoyer. The
      devotee drinks the sweet Bliss of God. Further, God is the
      lotus and the devotee the bee. The devotee sips the honey
      of the lotus.

      As a devotee cannot live without God, so also God cannot
      live without His devotee. Then the devotee becomes the
      sweetness, and God its enjoyer. The devotee becomes
      the lotus, and God the bee. It is the Godhead that has
      become these two in order to enjoy Its own Bliss.

      - Ramakrishna Paramahamsa from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna by M. (Mahendranath Gupta)

      Poem

      The spirit
      likes to dress up like this:
      ten fingers,