#4905 - Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 10:09 PM

      #4905 - Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      The Nonduality Highlights
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NDhighlights/

      Douglas Raglin to Nonduality Highlights on Facebook

      I recently attended a community presentation on “Conscious Dying”. It was so
      refreshing to discuss and hear about end of life experiences from caregivers. Also, the
      possibility of being creative with one’s own end of life. Choosing to be responsible for
      the difficult decisions, and be creative with how we are remembered and treated once
      we are gone. Just a public discussion with some important information as to a right we
      can all exercise. By the way there was no speculation involved with what might come
      after, beliefs that we individually or collectively would like to impose upon the unknown.

      One comment that has stuck with me came from 3 family members who were caring for
      their beloved mother. When the mother finally accepted, this is the end, she uttered,
      “Just how long is this going to take”? It was another 4 days of precious time for those
      still with time, but a wait for that last exhale.

      The main reason this stands out for me is the human condition I find myself in, basically
      waiting around for the end of my own “self importance” still clinging to an “Ego”. Beyond
      all the teachings of Buddhas, Christ and other realized individuals is a nagging
      awareness that there is an end to perceived isolation. I struggle to maintain the very
      cause of my own dissatisfaction with life, wanting it to be other than it is. The inner
      conflict and negotiations to free myself from this obsession is not so different than all
      the conflict I see in the world today, although a bit friendlier. As with the dying
      mother, the end came not in her declaration, “I am ready”, but inevitable none the less.
      Can I relax enough to accept the unity of “self” and experience. Trust in this innate
      wisdom, and practice some real forgiveness and compassion. Forgive myself for
      struggling so unnecessarily, compassion for the human condition I find myself in. End my
      addiction of being in apparent control, ever clinging to the judgment that I would be
      there if I am sincere enough.

      Apparently humans do have this ability, whether you be a carpenter’s son, or a noble
      prince, a graduate from here or there, we do have some examples that complete letting
      go with an intention to truly live life as it is, is a transformational experience that we
      all long for, a sense of unity!!! Personal experimentation to achieve a natural state of
      awareness is both attractive and necessary to end the false perception of isolation.
      “Just how long is this going to take?

      Ed Note: Having just moved my mother to an assisted living facility, this piece resonated.
      It is terribly difficult to cope with change at age 91, to give up being in one's own home, to
      be at the mercy of others for care.

      My heart, the bird of the wilderness,
      has found its sky in your eyes.
      They are the cradle of the morning,
      they are the kingdom of the stars.
      My songs are lost in their depths.
      Let me but soar in that sky, in its lonely immensity.
      Let me but cleave its clouds and spread wings in its sunshine.

      Tagore

      Alan Larus Photography