Monday October 2nd

  • andrew macnab
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2000

      <...>
      Sure, I admit it. I do have all the answers, but I do not know which
      questions they go with. But hey, running my fingers through all these
      answers, certainly gives me a cool feeling!

      "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king"

      ==Gene Poole==

      <...>
      If you want to find real wisdom look deeply within your Self.

      Best wishes, Ed

      Such bliss I know
      when raindrops touch the lake and the waters reunite...
      but so much more do I rejoice in those
      that miss, and kiss my laughing face instead.

      Sandeep

      Three men are walking in the desert. One is carrying a bottle of wine, the other one
      is
      carrying a piece of chocolate and the third one is carrying a car-door. An other man
      comes
      along and asks the first man: "why are you carrying a bottle of wine?" "Something to
      drink when
      I get thirsty". He asks the second one: "why are you carrying a piece of chocolate?"
      "When
      hungry, I've got something to eat". He asks the third one "why are you carrying a
      car-door?"
      "If it gets hot, I can open the window".

      Have fun
      Jan

      <...>
      Isn't what happens here at the NDS ..."seeking" Isn't "seeking" the
      only thing any "I" can do when...when operating from the
      "personality"
      can anything but "seeking" occur?
      <...>
      Hmmmm...honestly....maybe this...why does it seem like nonduality is
      something that some "I's" value more than duality....
      <...>
      No...ego has NOT vanished...but can it "vanish" as long as one is
      wearing an "I" as long as one is...incarnate?

      love,
      sera

      Dear Sandeep,

      If I'm not in a state,
      I'm not concerned
      about enlightenment
      or nonenlightenment.

      If I'm not in a state,
      people who believe
      everyone must be
      in a state,
      will be sure
      to define one that
      I am in, one that
      I am missing out on,
      and one that I'll
      be sorry if I
      fall into.

      Love,
      Dan

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Dear Dan,

      Trying some of this Dan-ji email typography here, chiming in....

      If I think I'm in a state,
      then I'm concerned
      about states,
      about enlightenment,
      and about nonenlightenment.

      If I think I'm in a state,
      then other people and other states
      are what I see.
      Wherever I turn, I'll "make"
      states of the stateless.

      If I think I'm in a state,
      then I might seek to be
      in the stateless state, the
      state of being free from states.
      I'll want that to last as long as it can.
      It might even require vigilance, but
      maybe then it can last forever, er, I think...

      I'll consider that to be a very
      precarious state indeed!

      Love,

      --Greg

      Paint the endless sky
      Observe the beauty
      It is good.

      This morning between wakefulness and sleep
      Angels whispering telling secrets
      The purpose and the cause danced as one
      Seal your lips tell nothing.

      Shout it out
      Reveal the secret
      Hush now
      I am busy.

      Why
      No reason
      Maybe
      To see what there is to see.

      How vast!
      How small!

      HAHAHAH and HOHOHO!

      Peace - dancing - Michael

      **********
      It is personal! But people avoid the personal in favor of some
      intangible
      impersonal - which is what seeking is. That is NOT the way.
      The way is surrender to the personal and all that entails.
      "Pick up your cross and follow me."

      --
      Happy Days,
      Judi

      Dearest Pou,

      We are all One in our humanity expressing the animal and the divine in
      different shades of color as it all plays out on the ground of Being. We are
      One in Being. So it seems to me that there is no shame in being human
      whether it is Osho or me or you or Tom, Hans, Dan, Lalla, Mary, Sandeep,
      Jerry, etc. Humans have this great gift that they have the potential to
      reflect and understand the nature of their own suffering and the suffering
      of those around them. They can examine the cause of that suffering. Being
      alert to this and bringing awareness to the cause of suffering itself goes
      to the root of the fundamental problem of existence. This self-awareness
      spontaneously influences behavior to be more compassionate, more forgiving,
      and it brightens the intelligence. The wise say that this constant attention
      as Self-Awareness loosens the knot of the Heart and the feeling of
      separation disappears. Ultimately dear Pou, Osho's problems are not your
      problems unless you make them so. To concretize the master as a body in
      one's consciousness is natural and helpful at a certain point. But
      sometimes, somewhere, One must give everything up, and that is the final
      grace of the True Guru. He blesses you in the dream, points the way, and
      then disappears leaving you to rest and reside in the Being of God that is
      the Guru-Being and the Self-Being.

      Love to you Pou and all
      Harsha

      >Dear Dan,
      >
      >There is no doer, and whatever happens is inevitable, bound to happen. I
      also know
      >that I may achieve things in the world for my own benefit and in service
      to the world
      >by fixing my attention on a goal, making an effort, working toward that
      goal, by
      >wilful intent and action. How can these knowings be reconciled with each
      other?

      >love,
      >
      >andrew
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Dear Andrew,

      The energy of birth-death
      that is limitless is
      not describable.

      The day to day conventional
      forms of speaking and
      thinking are definable.

      The second would not be
      without the first.
      The first is the "source"
      of the second (although
      never apart or other).

      If I "live" as the unbounded,
      my bounded life takes care
      of itself.

      If I try to live "in" the bounded
      reality as an entity,
      endless complications
      result from the friction of
      placing "me" here against
      "that" there (whether "that"
      be a goal, an expectation,
      another person, etc.).

      It's a matter of awareness,
      not a change of form.

      The thinking/speaking that involves
      day to day life, goals, etc.,
      arises as appropriate. However,
      there is no investment in an
      outcome for a separable entity,
      and no evaluation/reactivity
      to situations as if they pertained
      to a separable entity (which is
      seen as fictional). This noninvestment
      and nonreactivity is not observable.
      It's not a matter of being Mr. Spock.
      A person may be laughing, crying,
      speaking in an angry tone. There
      isn't the sense that that person
      contains a center that anchors awareness.
      Because there isn't that sense, thoughts
      aren't occurring around ideas such as
      "this person is very important," "this
      person must continue to exist (or should
      not exist)", etc. Thoughts can occur,
      and do. There are, however, always "gaps"
      between thoughts in which timeless reality
      *is* . As thought arises, timeless reality
      yet *is*. So the sense of time has shifted.
      Timelessness *is*, and thoughts don't construct
      a sense of time around an individual entity
      and pertaining to that entity. Nonetheless,
      day to day communication about time and goals
      can arise appropriately.

      Love,
      Dan
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Andrew, perhaps you are familiar with thermodynamics. In order to say something
      meaningful about a system, it has to be defined first: it is insulated from the "rest"
      of the universe and then, one can say something meaningful about its behavior in terms
      of energy etc. - its relation(s) with the "rest" of that universe... Regarding the
      mind-body and its role, one can do the same: just a description to arrive at what the
      human mind is conditioned to consider as "meaningful". So it is a matter of
      perspective and when the perspective is "wide enough" one could say "nothing really
      matters" or "everything adds up to zero". But as all manifestation is governed by
      laws, such a statement, although true, is rather useless, apart from cutting through
      conditioning :))

      Love,
      Jan

      People want you to be happy.
      Don't keep serving them your pain!

      If you could untie your wings
      and free your soul of jealousy.

      you and everyone around you
      would fly up like doves.

      ******* Rumi

      neo:
      > Actually I have never heard on the news discussion of ego death (as opposed
      > to body death which is not really alive anyway so actually no one has ever
      > been born or died).

      *********
      Well the popular notion, which all religions are based on is exactly that, which is
      that there is a serparate "ego" or spirit or whatever, that dies and goes to some
      heaven world which is THE place to be. But, the advaita teaching is one of nonduality,
      no separation of body, mind and spirit. It's surrender into and as what is already the
      case, not "other" to the body itself. And in that surrender, present freedom is found,
      not in any sort of wishful thinking or hopeful prayers or any strategies of growthful
      seeking. Advaita, you could say is for people who have tired, have the seen the
      failure of religions and spirituality and are forced to take a different course, which
      is surrender to and as the body itself. It's for the hopeless. It is no seeking. But
      as Greg said today in an earlier post, a person can't really appreciate the nondual
      point of view unless you have tried everything else and seen it's basic failure.

      So, Neo, I wish you well on your journey!
      Happy trails.
      Take care of yourself.

      Judi

      ~ Great giggles, Gene.

      Thanks
      Xan

      GENE:
      Funny! Funny? I'll show you 'funny'!

      Marcia! Hey, now where do you 'get off', assuming that just because
      somebody says something, that that somebody who said that, by saying
      that, is saying also, that who is hearing, did not already know what
      was being said? Huh? Huh?

      And not only that, but is it not just a tad 'over the line' to also
      assume that someone 'thinks they are so smart'? Please fax me a copy
      of your graduation certificate from the "Institute of Mind Reading",
      if you 'think' you know what others think! I would rethink that
      thinking, thinks I!

      Now let me tell you something, Marcia. You 'girls' can just stand
      back, and be content just watching, as us 'guys' gather on the
      commons, displaying our god-like physiques, togas draped to maximum
      advantage, wreaths of laurel circling our high brows, as we
      expostulate the creamiest profundities, to be elevated to the virtual
      Olympus of Intellectual Valhallas, as we ride o'er the rainbow bridge
      of Aesir, drawn by the magnificent white steeds of achievement, and
      yes, the very gods themselves bow and make way, as our legions cross
      that fabled threshold, to take our rightful places as the true
      overseers and managers of the affairs (and thoughts) of one and all!
      And of course, this is possible only because of us 'guys' incredible,
      incomparable 'humility', without which we could be mistaken for mere
      strutting, pompous asses. I am proud of my humility! You, Marcia,
      could take a lesson; even a glance at our humility, should be a
      humbling experience!

      And I suppose, Marcia, that your 'definition of enlightenment' as it
      applies to 'guys', would be that a man deserves that acclamation,
      only if he remembers to put the toilet-seat back down? Does not this
      assumption of yours, if it is as I suppose, fly in the face of the
      centuries of 'guy' brilliance, such as being able to change the oil
      in your iron chariot? To fix that drippy faucet? Not to mention, such
      other vaunted accomplishments as WD-40, steel-wool, and rubber bands?
      And what about zippers?

      So when you see us 'guys', sitting around and scratching each-others
      backs, as is revealed below, please allow that special flash of
      brilliant light to permeate your cranium, thus to dispel any chronic
      complaints you may entertain, as may pertain to our ('guys')
      idiosyncrasies, foibles, shortcomings, or so-called 'flaws'. After
      all, just how else would a 'diamond in the rough' (a favorite 'gal'
      phrase) ever become that shining jewel, so craved by the esteemed
      female of our species?

      So there!

      Your Humble Servant,