#4874 - Monday, March 25, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2013

      #4874 - Monday, March 25, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      "Leonard Himself Has Gone Beyond The Need Of Reviews"
      Leonard Cohen at the Fox Theater in Atlanta, Georgia – March 22, 2013

      By Vicki Woodyard

      Avoid the flourish. Do not be afraid to be weak. Do not be ashamed to be tired.
      You look good when you’re tired. You look like you could go on forever. Now come
      into my arms. You are the image of my beauty.

      ~Leonard Cohen, Death of a Lady’s Man.

      What I witnessed for over three and a half hours was a man and his touring
      company hard at work to deliver the goods impeccably.

      Leonard himself has gone beyond the need of reviews. The man is a legend. He is, in
      a sense, a blue-collar worker. Just like a delivery man might come into a bar with a
      box of 24 glasses and say, “Here’s your delivery,” —thus did Leonard take center
      stage and humbly deliver his body of work. He’s your man. He’s Everyman.

      This was unexpectedly added to the set list in Atlanta.

      I greet you from the other side
      Of sorrow and despair
      With a love so vast and shattered
      It will reach you everywhere
      And I sing this for the captain
      Whose ship has not been built
      For the mother in confusion
      Her cradle still unfilled

      For the heart with no companion
      For the soul without a king
      For the prima ballerina
      Who cannot dance to anything

      Through the days of shame that are coming
      Through the nights of wild distress
      Tho' your promise count for nothing
      You must keep it nonetheless

      You must keep it for the captain
      Whose ship has not been built
      For the mother in confusion
      Her cradle still unfilled

      For the heart with no companion ...

      I greet you from the other side ...

      Soft Soul Kisses in The Dark
      Oriah Mountain Dreamer wrote of her experience in a December 2012 concert.

      Excerpt:

      Last night I sat in the darkness of a huge stadium and once again listened to
      Leonard Cohen singing “Suzanne.” He also sang “Halleluiah" and many of his other
      songs over the course of a three and a half hour concert. He was. . . . shimmering
      with the heat of presence, and the heart of humility- companioned on stage by
      fellow master musicians and singers.

      But the piece that unexpectedly broke me open was “A Thousand Kisses Deep.”
      Maybe it was because he didn’t sing it, but simply recited it with a violin offering
      soft sustained notes beneath his resonant voice. Maybe it was the miracle of sitting
      in the dark with thirty thousand other people who were listening in rapt silence to
      a Canadian poet recite a poem, reminding me of the power of words. He held the
      microphone close and became the words:

      “The ponies run, the girls are young,
      The odds are there to beat.
      You win a while, and then it’s done –
      Your little winning streak.
      And summoned now to deal
      With your invincible defeat,
      You live your life as if it’s real,
      A Thousand Kisses Deep. . . . ”

      Suddenly, my face was wet with tears.

      Because it’s so easy not to live “a thousand kisses deep.” So easy to skim the
      surface, to write about things instead of letting the words hold the rawness of our
      particular joys and our sorrows.
       (...)
      Because it’s hard to live a thousand kisses deep, to face the smallness of our lives
      and the largeness of our loves; because it requires courage to live with the
      knowledge of our "invincible defeat" in both the small daily things that undo our
      resolve, and the knowledge of our mortality. Because it’s a little crazy, when asked
      about your financial plan, to talk about the book you're writing without
      consideration for what is “marketable,” for what can be “leveraged for other
      products and spin-offs.” Because living in a secular culture with a passion for the
      sacred and an awareness of the very real magic that runs throughout life can make
      you feel a little out of step with the world around you.

      But for the soul there is no other way to live, and all the fears, all the holding
      back, all the attempts to be measured and reasonable, to not pour the messy details
      of the past, the wild dreams of the future, and the full sensual experience of the
      present onto the page just won’t cut it.

      Because not living our particular life, as Leonard says, "as if it’s real" leaves the
      soul hungry and sad. And life is too precious and too short not live to the edges and
      the depths, not to live “A Thousand Kisses Deep.”
      Oriah (c) 2012