#4849 - Thursday, February 21, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2013

      #4849 - Thursday, February 21, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      The Silence of the Stars
      When Laurens van der Post one night
      In the Kalihari Desert told the Bushmen
      He couldn't hear the stars
      Singing, they didn't believe him.  They looked at him,
      Half-smiling.  They examined his face
      To see whether he was joking
      Or deceiving them.  Then two of those small men
      Who plant nothing, who have almost
      Nothing to hunt, who live
      On almost nothing, and with no one
      But themselves, led him away
      From the crackling thorn-scrub fire
      And stood with him under the night sky
      And listened.  One of them whispered,
      Do you not hear them now?
      And van der Post listened, not wanting
      To disbelieve, but had to answer,
      No.  They walked him slowly
      Like a sick man to the small dim
      Circle of firelight and told him
      They were terribly sorry,
      And he felt even sorrier
      For himself and blamed his ancestors
      For their strange loss of hearing,
      Which was his loss now.  On some clear nights
      When nearby houses have turned off their televisions,
      When the traffic dwindles, when through streets
      Are between sirens and the jets overhead
      Are between crossings, when the wind
      Is hanging fire in the fir trees,
      And the long-eared owl in the neighboring grove
      Between calls is regarding his own darkness,
      I look at the stars again as I first did
      To school myself in the names of constellations
      And remember my first sense of their terrible distance,
      I can still hear what I thought
      At the edge of silence where the inside jokes
      Of my heartbeat, my arterial traffic,
      The C above high C of my inner ear, myself
      Tunelessly humming, but now I know what they are:
      My fair share of the music of the spheres
      And clusters of ripening stars,
      Of the songs from the throats of the old gods
      Still tending even tone-deaf creatures
      Through their exiles in the desert.
      ~ David Wagoner ~
      (Traveling Light)

      Here's what most astronauts will never tell you.
      Who would have thought traveling to outer space could be such a profound experience?
      OK, probably everybody, but these former astronauts really articulate it in a way that was
      just a little mind-blowing.
      Ed. Note. This is a short film, so worth watching. Speaks to the realization of oneness
      via visual images from space.
      (pastable link for plain text viewers)