#4845 - Saturday, February 16, 2013

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2013

      Nonduality Highlights Issue #4845, Saturday, February 16, 2013

      When we were children, we used to think that when we were grown-up we would no longer be vulnerable. But to grow up is to accept vulnerability... To be alive is to be vulnerable.

      - Madeleine L'Engle

      Deeply understanding and accepting that life and living is based on change, whether one likes it or not, is a great step ahead.

      A mouse and a frog meet every morning on the riverbank.
      They sit in a nook of the ground and talk.
      Each morning, the second they see each other,
      they open easily, telling stories and dreams and secrets,
      empty of any fear or suspicious holding back.
      To watch, and listen to those two
      is to understand how, as it's written,
      sometimes when two beings come together,
      Jesus becomes visible.
      The mouse starts laughing out a story he hasn't thought of
      in five years, and the telling might take five years!
      There's no blocking the speechflow-river-running-
      all-carrying momentum that true intimacy is.
      Bitterness doesn't have a chance
      with those two.
      The God-messenger, Khidr, touches a roasted fish.
      It leaps off the grill back into the water.
      Friend sits by Friend, and the tablets appear.
      They read the mysteries
      off each other's foreheads.
      But one day the mouse complains, There are times
      when I want sohbet, and you're out in the water,
      jumping around where you can't hear me.
      We meet at this appointed time,
      but the text says, Lovers pray constantly.
      Once a day, once a week, five times an hour,
      is not enough. Fish like we are
      need the ocean around us!
      Do camel bells say, Let's meet back here Thursday night?
      Ridiculous. They jingle
      together continuously,
      talking while the camel walks.
      Do you pay regular visits to yourself?
      Don't argue or answer rationally.
      Let us die,
      and dying, reply.

      - Rumi, version by Colman Barks, from Whoever Brought Me Here Will Have To Take Me Back, posted to SufiMystic

      A man who moves with the earth will necessarily experience days and nights. He who stays with the sun will know no darkness. My world is not yours. As I see it, you all are on a stage performing. There is no reality about your comings and goings. And your problems are so unreal!

      Where Does the Dance Begin, Where Does It End?

      Don't call this world adorable, or useful, that's not it.
      It's frisky, and a theater for more than fair winds.
      The eyelash of lightning is neither good nor evil.
      The struck tree burns like a pillar of gold.

      But the blue rain sinks, straight to the white
      feet of the trees
      whose mouths open.
      Doesn't the wind, turning in circles, invent the dance?
      Haven't the flowers moved, slowly, across Asia, then Europe,
      until at last, now, they shine
      in your own yard?

      Don't call this world an explanation, or even an education.

      When the Sufi poet whirled, was he looking
      outward, to the mountains so solidly there
      in a white-capped ring, or was he looking

      to the center of everything: the seed, the egg, the idea
      that was also there,
      beautiful as a thumb
      curved and touching the finger, tenderly,
      little love-ring,

      as he whirled,
      oh jug of breath,
      in the garden of dust?

      - Mary Oliver from Why I Wake Early

      What To Remember When Waking

      In that first
      hardly noticed
      moment
      to which you wake,
      coming back
      to this life
      from the other
      more secret,
      moveable
      and frighteningly
      honest
      world
      where everything
      began,
      there is a small
      opening
      into the new day
      which closes
      the moment
      you begin
      your plans.

      What you can plan
      is too small
      for you to live.

      What you can live
      wholeheartedly
      will make plans
      enough
      for the vitality
      hidden in your sleep.

      To be human
      is to become visible
      while carrying
      what is hidden
      as a gift to others.

      To remember
      the other world
      in this world
      is to live in your
      true inheritance.

      You are not
      a troubled guest
      on this earth,
      you are not
      an accident
      amidst other accidents
      you were invited

      from another and greater
      night
      than the one
      from which
      you have just emerged.

      Now, looking through
      the slanting light
      of the morning
      window toward
      the mountain
      presence
      of everything
      that can be,
      what urgency
      calls you to your
      one love? What shape
      waits in the seed
      of you to grow
      and spread
      its branches
      against a future sky?

      Is it waiting
      in the fertile sea?
      In the trees
      beyond the house?
      In the life
      you can imagine
      for yourself?
      In the open
      and lovely
      white page
      on the waiting desk?

      ~ David Whyte from The House of Belonging