#4842 - Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13 4:19 PM
      #4842 - Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      An excerpt from

      SCHOOL FOR LOVE

      the sustaining consideration

      The snow
      is taking
      away
      our
      footsteps

      Hypothesis: Love.

      What we see and hear gets into us, Suppose it becomes images and imaginations. If we don't "suppose," if we tighten up on what we say, we cement ourself.

      Images appear haphazardly in dreaming and in day-dreaming. Love is one of these. A big fine word in the Occident, "love" is rather looked down upon in the Orient as inferring individual overheating.

      Suppose then we package images and imaginations. Can we release them? Can we take what we see and hear fresh, undefined with surprising possibilities, as if for the first time?

      Of course. When we blink we relieve our eyes of image fixations. When we leave our tongue up against our mouthroof imaginations are released. This stops talk. It has been observed that throat muscles are talking subvocally much of the time until we quiet them.

      As eyes blink as we willingly release staring, and as tongue lifts, we pause. This pause cleanses us of seeing strains and overtalk. If we continue pausing, trouble lines begin to leave our face.

      If you stop visual fixing and imagining and pass your palms slowly over your face without touching it, you can suppose you are smoothing facial surfaces and you will be, since we tend to become as we image and imagine.

      This subject is taboo. No one investigates the finest known instrument in universe, our own. We customarily overwork and overuse it, beat it up, wear it out without ever once observing ourselves instrumentally.

      Where are we going in our rush for machinery to have living more convenient and to travel around the stars? We are going out and around. May there be another inner travel? May who be more important than what? May this who be the presence of love, not just the love we make and name but a brilliance including and sustaining us?

      To touch this brilliance fills our hands with buds and flowers.

      Well, I have marked some white paper with black words. You have "read" these words. On you go, on I go, but as we stop to consider whatever we are doing and who is doing, we are rather magically in another world, as if in opening our closed hands a new world appeared in them, as if a mother were holding her newborn child, as if everything were quite all right.

      This considering, any considering, I call love.

      ~ ~ ~

      Reps, Paul (1989-12-15). Square Sun Square Moon: A Collection of Sweet Sour Essays (Kindle Locations 1173-1188). Perseus Books Group. Kindle Edition.