#4837 - Thursday, February 7, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2013

      #4837 - Thursday, February 7, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      There is nothing to practice. To know yourself, be yourself. To be yourself, stop
      imagining yourself to be this or that. Just be. Let your true nature emerge.
      Don't disturb your mind with seeking.
      ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj

      To exert yourself in religious practice, trying to produce enlightenment by doing
      religious practices and zazen, is all wrong too. There's no difference between
      the mind of all the buddhas and the Buddha Mind of each one of you. But by
      wanting to realise enlightenment, you create a duality between the one who
      realises enlightenment and what it is that's being realised. When you cherish
      even the smallest desire to realise enlightenment, right away you leave the realm
      of the Unborn and go against the Buddha Mind. This Buddha Mind you have from
      your parents innately is one alone - not two, not three!
      ~ Bankei
      [Originally from 'The Record of Bankei', quoted from the book 'Bankei Zen'
      translated by Peter Haskel]
      Alan Larus Photography
      Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them - that only
      creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in
      whatever way they like.
      ~ Lao Tzu
      To have some deep feeling about Buddhism is not the point; we just do what we
      should do, like eating supper and going to bed. This is Buddhism.
      ~ Shunryu Suzuki
      [Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind]
      The rising and the elimination of illusion are both illusory. Illusion is not
      something rooted in Reality; it exists because of your dualistic thinking. If you
      will only cease to indulge in opposed concepts such as 'ordinary' and
      'Enlightened', illusion will cease of itself. And then if you still want to destroy
      it wherever it may be, you will find that there is not a hairsbreadth left of
      anything on which to hold. This is the meaning of: 'I will let go with both hands,
      for then I shall certainly discover the Buddha in my Mind.'
      ~ Huang Po
      Sometimes we think that to develop an open heart, to be truly loving and
      compassionate, means that we need to be passive, to allow others to abuse us, to
      smile and let anyone do what they want with us. Yet this is not what is meant by
      compassion. Quite the contrary. Compassion is not at all weak. It is the strength
      that arises out of seeing the true nature of suffering in the world. Compassion
      allows us to bear witness to that suffering, whether it is in ourselves or others,
      without fear; it allows us to name injustice without hesitation, and to act
      strongly, with all the skill at our disposal. To develop this mind state of
      compassion... is to learn to live, as the Buddha put it, with sympathy for all living
      beings, without exception.
      ~ Sharon Salzberg
      via Zen Poems, Haiku & Writings on Facebook

      Alan Larus Photography
      And once we have the condition of peace and joy in us, we can afford to be in
      any situation. Even in the situation of hell, we will be able to contribute our
      peace and serenity. The most important thing is for each of us to have some
      freedom in our heart, some stability in our heart, some peace in our heart. Only
      then will we be able to relieve the suffering around us.
      ~ Thich Nhat Hanh