#4836 - Wednesday, February 6, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2013

      #4836 - Wednesday, February 6, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Order from Amazon.com:

      Order from Fons Vitae:

      Waiting and Being

      Sketches By Mary Bruce Cobb
      with essays by her friends

      isbn 9781891785573

      Here in her perceptive sketches, Kentucky treasure and acclaimed portrait artist Mary Cobb takes us on a journey through the spaces where people wait;  patients in doctor’s offices and cancer wards,  travelers in terminals and stations, the homeless in shelters.  She leads us from where we wait to where our waiting becomes pure presence or being.  She shows us that we should not succumb to waiting for outcomes, but should instead use these opportunities to transform that time into being in the joyful present where we truly dwell.

      Joining Mary are some of her friends, many of whom have also faced great trials in health and in life.
      Their additions in words complement what Mary has drawn, and further invite us to consider how intimately joined are Waiting and Being.

      "That each of us is unique is probably why I find drawing and painting the human form a constant challenge.  Searching for that spirit within is what it’s all about for me—whether best expressed through the tilt of the head, the curve of a wrist or through an expression in the eyes.

      For many years I have kept a sketch pad and pen, or charcoal, in a separate purse, just in case something or someone of interest might appeal to me, to draw as I pass the time, in doctors’ offices, airports and bus stations, places where I seem to be spending more of my time, waiting for my number to be called.

      It occurred to me these were ideal opportunities to people watch—opportunities for a moment in time to be captured, to be revealed—before he, she or they became conscious of being watched. If I feel that anyone is puzzled by my staring, or made uncomfortable by my intrusion, I wave a hand, turn the sketch toward them, and share what I am doing.

      Once, at the airport, I saw a toddler who had fallen sound asleep in his chair. I asked the father if I could sketch his son. He acquiesced, with one caveat: “Don’t wake him up.” After 15 minutes, simultaneously, I finished, the child woke up, and the announcement came over the PA system. Time to get in line.

      Trying to convey what seems to be special about a person—it takes awhile to see what I want to record. But in these sketches I look for what speaks to me, when I am not making an effort to get a likeness, and am led by JOY. It’s so satisfying for me, and takes me into a another kind of world."       - Mary Cobb

      The drawings and thoughts of Mary Cobb, surrounded by the contributions of friends—are meant to be an offering of our transmissions—of some of what we have to pass on.
      Each of us has endured trials of loss and great illness—that of our own and those near to us. It is our hope that our observations and reflections will be of some help.

      Table of Contents
      Preface 7
      By Mary Bruce Cobb
      Waiting at the Hospital 9
      Waiting in the Darkness for the Light 15 By Anne Ogden
      Waiting Rooms 23
      On Waiting 39
      By Helen Hammon Jones
      Waiting in Line 49
      Waiting Traveling 55
      The Meaning of the Wait 70
      By Al Shands
      Waiting to Arrive 73
      Waiting At the Destination and in lobbies for Meetings 79
      Waiting for “Whatever” 87
      Waiting…at the track…for a fish…during jury duty…at a parade…for a friend
      to join…to see how the book comes out…to finish the row, knitting 95
      The Way of Women and Waiting 102
      By Georgine Buckwalter
      Waiting and Being Homeless 105
      ‘Waiting’ at St. John’s is a ‘being’ 111
      By Sue Speed
      Renewal It was worth the Wait 119
      Here is my Wait 122
      By Sarah McNeal Few
      Being Present 127
      In Attendance 137
      By Gray Henry

      Waiting and Being

      When Nonduality Hits the Fan

      Vicki Woodyard

      Occasionally I make a few scathing comments about the generic quality of nonduality. Truth be told, more than a few. I began writing for The Nondual Highlights as my husband Bob lived out the last five years of his life. I cut my teeth as an essayist under the kind patronage of Jerry Katz. He even created a link for me called Nonduality and Cancer.

      Bob’s death, due to multiple myeloma was a long and harrowing one. Deprived of the ability to make red blood cells,  he was entirely dependent on packed platelets in order to live. Finally the day came when his doctor and nurse called us in and said, “Time to quit.” Within a few weeks he was dead.

      I kept writing.

      Today after Tai Chi, I was speaking with one of the therapists on the staff at Cancer Wellness. I told her about the day I was out walking when a neighbor rolled down the window of his truck and said,”How’s it going?” Bob was doing downhill in a hurry and I was a walking basket case. My reply  involved the “F word.” The therapist said, “There are times when that is appropriate.”Yep. It was a release valve on an overloaded soul—me!

      My writing rips the facade off of most everything; I am just wired that way. You will never find me wandering in The Platitude Playground of Philosophy. Uh uh. No bleeping way. I have buried two family members and have the T-shirts to prove it. And 2 books as well.

      One day my book, Life With A Hole In It, will be required reading for anyone enrolled in Life 101. It is a graphic account of how I managed to be a caregiver twice in one lifetime and retain my sanity.

      Admittedly I lost some key ingredients for a normal social life. I enjoy being alone and have a passion to communicate via the written word.  Sometimes I even speak it.

      I have a real sense that Bob and Laurie, my husband and daughter, are still with me. Some report seeing angels around me. Apparently they think I am worth protecting for I am told repeatedly how safe I am. But the fear in my gut is alive and well. No mealy-mouthed nondualist-spouting phraseologist can take it from me. I earned it. And not only that, love is alive as well.

      I have no real idea why I am pounding this essay out. Maybe it has something to do with Jeff Foster writing about his friend’s messy death.

      “Jeff comments: 'This was the kind of love they don't teach in books. This wasn't the conceptual love of the mind, not the fluffy happy love that comes and goes and depends on things going 'my way', but an unconditional love, a blood and shit and piss love, a fierce and unyielding grace without a name, indestructible, forever renewing itself in the furnace of presence, blowing anything unreal before it to smithereens. This was his final guru, whose lessons were brutal and unexpected, but ultimately pointed to nothing less than freedom.'

      I just want to give a shout-out to the caregivers formerly known as people who have become angels unaware. Bob always called me Angel. Now I know why. Not because I deserve it, but because he, one of the kindest men on earth, found me worthy of his love. I live to continue that legacy. And so it goes. The playground of earth is where we find ourselves. Let us be kind to each other on the seesaw, the jungle gym and the swing set. Namaste. I’m gonna go watch TV.

      --
      Vicki Woodyard
      http://www.vickiwoodyard.com