#4835 - Tuesday, February 5, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2013
      #4835 - Tuesday, February 5, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Apparent Elasticity of Time

      by Colin Drake

      I recently received the following question from one of my readers:

      ‘Am I on the right track in thinking that when these thoughts, opinions and like relent, the mind is then free to focus on the task at hand......as any good computer should when uncluttered from virus and malware?’

      As with most good questions it contains its own answer. For life is managed much more efficiently when approached with a still mind, as then when the mind is used in its true capacity, as a problem solving (and working) device, it is much more efficient when it can concentrate solely on the task in hand. This is directly related to self-identity, for identifying oneself as a separate object (in a universe of such) leads to existential angst, self-absorption, considering one’s self-interest, opinions, judgements, worrying about one’s self-image etc … These all occupy the mind disturbing its stillness and run as a multitude of background programs when the mind is called onto act in its working capacity. Naturally this makes the mind inefficient, just as a computer can solve a complex problem much more quickly when running a single program compared to when it is running many programs simultaneously.

      The simple solution to this is to discover the constant, conscious, subjective presence (pure awareness) that one actually is … see the appendix, and cultivate identification with This. For this then terminates the ‘background programs’ as they are seen to relate to a non-existent entity! When this occurs time seems to acquire a seemingly miraculous quality, that of elasticity, as one is able to achieve a great deal with minimal effort and no waste of time.

      As an example of this I have a tendency to be lazy, spending on average at least two hours of my ‘waking’ day lying down: meditating, contemplating, relaxing, ‘wobbling’ (on a Zen-Chi massager) and sometimes just dozing! I also spend as much time as I can each day hanging out on the verandah, enjoying the glorious view, eating, drinking, reading and entertaining guests. This would amount to at least another two hours a day and much more when friends are present. In fact I am sure many casual acquaintances think that this is all I do as this is all they ever experience of my activities! Add to this 2-3 hours of TV each evening and much more in the day when international cricket, or champions league soccer is showing, plus the large amount of time Janet and I spend travelling and holidaying in our campervan each year it’s a wonder that I ever get anything done!

      Yet to balance this in the last ten years there has been the completion of a full-time four year honours degree in comparative religion and philosophy, the (researching, writing, editing and) publication of seven books, writing new articles and poems and answering questions by my readers, running a successful part-time pottery making restaurant ware, volunteering at the local environment centre as their IT and Volunteer Co-ordinator, maintaining an old large farmhouse and macadamia plantation of over 300 trees, maintaining three old vehicles and various pieces of farm machinery plus the usual tasks of living such as shopping, cooking, managing household finances, playing golf with my son, carrying out a regular morning yoga routine, and helping with the housework etc…

      In fact it truly does appear to me that time is elastic in that one can achieve whatever one desires whilst still allowing plenty of time for relaxation and spiritual ‘practices’ … A lot of this is down to efficient time-management but there are other elements. Another of these that is enhanced by the quiet mind is intuition and flowing on from this lateral-thinking. For intuitions can often be very subtle and easily obscured by the background programs that are running, and when the mind is uncluttered this makes lateral thinking much easier. These two factors greatly enhance our problem solving ability resulting in considerable time savings. All of the above are reliant on the major factor, which is not identifying oneself as a separate object with all of the useless suffering, mind-spinning and time-wasting this causes. Needless to say another benefit of avoiding this is that life becomes much less stressful and exhausting, resulting in one needing less sleep and saving even more time!

      Take today as a typical example of how one can cram so much into a short space of time:

      5.30 - 5.45 Arising after 6 hours in bed. Morning ablutions.

      5.45 – 6.30 Early morning sitting reading spiritual books on the verandah with a strong coffee.

      6.30– 7.30 Meditation/contemplation lying in the campervan.

      7.30 – 8 Answering e-mails, particularly the question at the beginning, and financial management.

      8 -8.20 Morning physical yoga.

      8.20 – 8.45 Cooking breakfast for Janet and I.

      8.45 – 9.15 Sitting on the verandah eating breakfast and talking.

      9.15 – 9.45 Writing this article.

      9.45 – 10.45 Moving furniture, working at the pottery and car maintenance.

      10.45 – 12.00 Painting the alcove behind our wood stove.

      12.00 – 12.30 Watching the first cricket Test Match  betweenAustralia and Sri Lanka .

      12.30 – 1.10 Wobbling on the Zen Chi massager followed by yoga-nidra.

      1.10 – 1.30 Fixing the computer.

      1.30 – 2.10 Lunch, on the verandah, whilst doing the daily crossword with Janet.

      2.10 – 2.30 Finishing the painting.

       2.30 – 3.00 Watching more cricket.

      3.00 – 3.30 Finishing this article!

      Now I am going back to the pottery and then (Inshallah):  a shower, more coffee/reading on the verandah, followed by contemplation in the van, food preparation, dinner (on the verandah), washing up, the evening’s TV watching, teeth brushing, wobbling, contemplation and bed … Another glorious day over!

      One final point is that when the ‘background programs’ are terminated by the realization that one is Pure Awareness, and that no separate self exists, then one approaches (and carries out) each task with no attachment or desire for a particular result. This is true ‘Karma Yoga’ (union through disinterested action) as delineated by Sri Krishna in the Baghavad Gita; but it is the result of, rather than a path to, awakening. In this one meets life with a quiet mind, ready to respond to any challenge, and each task is performed with  relatively efficiency, no ‘second thought’ (caused by relating to an illusory ‘me’) or needless indecision. Thus one lives in the ‘eternal now’ which is not bound by (the human conception of) time…  Needless to say this is only the case when one is awake, as soon as one misidentifies as an apparently separate being one finds oneself back in the time-bound illusion, and I would like to reiterate that I continually flip-flop between wakefulness and sleep, so sometimes time appears to be elastic and at other times it appears fixed.

      ~ ~ ~

      Colin Drake's books are available at http://nonduality.com/colindrake.htm

      Scott Kiloby's upcoming events:

      Scott Kiloby's Living Inquiries Workshops

      Feb. 15-17, 2013
      Santa Monica, California

      Feb. 22-24, 2013
      Berkley, California

      Mar. 8-10, 2013
      Durham, N.C.

      Scott Kiloby's "Freedom from Compulsion" Intensives

      Mar. 1-3, 2013
      Boulder, CO

      Apr. 26-28, 2013
      Boston, MA

      If you can't see the graphic below -- a newsletter from Fons Vitae publishing -- please view it here: