#4834 - Sunday, February 3, 2013

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2013

      Nonduality Highlights Issue #4834, Sunday, February 3, 2013

      God is not a personality outside of you.
      What God is, is inextricably part of what you are.
      God is the dimension of depth within you.

      - Eckhart Tolle, posted to The_Now2

      The Question

      One dervish to another, "What was your vision of God's presence"?
      I haven't seen anything.
      But for the sake of conversation, I'll tell you a story.

      God's presence is there in front of me - a fire on the left,
      a lovely stream on the right.
      One group walks toward the fire, into the fire, another
      toward the sweet flowing water.
      No one knows which are blessed and which not.
      Whoever walks into the fire appears suddenly in the stream.
      And then a head goes under on the water surface, that head
      pokes out of the fire.
      Most people guard against going into the fire,
      and so end up in it.
      Those who love the water of pleasure and make it their devotion
      are cheated with this reversal.
      The trickery goes further.
      The voice of the fire tells the truth saying, "I am not fire.
      I am fountainhead. Come into me and don't mind the sparks."

      If you are a friend of God, fire is your water.
      You should wish to have a hundred thousand sets of mothwings,
      so you could burn them away, one set a night.
      The moth sees light and goes into fire. You should see fire
      and go toward light. Fire is what of God that is world-consuming.
      Water, world-protecting.
      Somehow each gives the appearance of the other. To these eyes
      you have now, what looks like water
      burns. What looks like fire
      is a great relief to be inside.
      You've seen a magician make a bowl of rice
      seem a dish of tiny, live worms.
      Before an assembly with one breath he made the floor swarm
      with scorpions that weren't there.
      How much more amazing God's tricks.
      Generation after generation lies down, defeated, they think,
      but they're like a woman underneath a man, circling him.
      One molecule-mote-second thinking of God's reversal
      of comfort and pain is better
      than any attending ritual. That splinter
      of intelligence is substance.

      The fire and water themselves:
      accidental, done with mirrors.

      - Rumi, Mathnawi V: 420-458, version by Coleman Barks from The Essential Rumi, posted to Sunlight

      We should cast aside all childish games that fetter and exhaust body, speech and mind; and stretching out in inconceivable nonaction, in the unstructured matrix, the actuality of emptiness, where the natural perfection of reality lies, we should gaze at the uncontrived sameness of every experience, all conditioning and ambition resolved with finality.

      - Longchenpa

      Meditation practice awakens our trust that the wisdom and compassion that we need are already within us. It helps us to know ourselves: our rough parts and our smooth parts, our passion, aggression, ignorance and wisdom... Although it is embarrassing and painful, it is very healing to stop hiding from yourself.

      It is healing to know all the ways that you're sneaky, all the ways that you hide out, all the ways that you shut down, deny, close off, criticize people, all your weird little ways.

      You can know all of that with some sense of humor and kindness. By knowing yourself, you're coming to know humanness altogether. We are all up against these things. So when you realize that you're talking to yourself, label it 'thinking' and notice your tone of voice. Let it be compassionate and gentle and humorous.

      Then you'll be changing old stuck patterns that are shared by the whole human race. Compassion for others begins with kindness to ourselves.

      ~ Pema Chodron from Start Where You Are: A Guide to Compassionate Living, posted to DailyDharma

      When you lose touch with inner stillness,
      you lose touch with yourself.
      When you lose touch with yourself,
      you lose yourself in the world.
      Your innermost sense of self, of who you are,
      is inseparable from stillness.
      This is the I Am that is deeper than name and form.

      - Eckhart Tolle, posted to The_Now2