#4819 - Saturday, January 19, 2013
- Archived issues of the NDHighlights are available online: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm
Nonduality Highlights Issue #4819, Saturday, January 19, 2013
Theory of Feelings
I think the feelings
are put on like layers
of paint. Her honeymoon, for instance:
cold water, warm kisses,
then later, the breakup of the marriage,
-so now she has
the memory of pleasure
with a thin
skin of pain
on top of it,
then a light varnish
to really seal it in.
That's how a human being is
made, I think: one coat
after another. Childhood was
one bright, ferocious color.
then two, then so many
splashed and mingled,
so thickened and built up
one day it finally
stood up on its own
like a suit of armor,
and began to walk, and talk,
and went looking for itself.
- Tony Hoagland from Little Oceans, posted to The_Now2
Once the blossoms are gone, the fruit becomes visible; when one fades away, the other starts growing. How could bread give strength without being broken? How could the grape give wine without being crushed?
- Rumi, version by Muriel Maufroy from Breathing Truth - Quotations from Jalaluddin Rumi, posted to AlongTheWay
Earnestness is not a yearning for the fruits of one's endeavors. It is an expression of an inner shift of interest away from the false, the unessential, the personal.
- Nisargadatta Maharaj, posted to ANetofJewels
So the single most vital step on your journey toward enlightenment is this: learn to dis-identify with your mind. Every time you create a gap in the stream of mind the light of your consciousness grows stronger.
- Eckhart Tolle, posted to The_Now2
Take the first step first. All blessings come from within. Turn within. 'I am' you know. Be with it all the time you can spare, until you revert to it spontaneously. There is no simpler and easier way.
- Nisargadatta Maharaj, posted to Facebook