#4817 - Thursday, January 17, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2013

      #4817 - Thursday, January 17, 2013 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      The Nonduality Highlights
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NDhighlights/

      "The enlightened man is capable of perceiving both unity and multiplicity
      without the least contradiction between them."

      ~ Huang Po

      Green mountains rise to the north;
      white water rolls past the eastern city.

      Once it has been uprooted,
      the tumbleweed travels forever.

      Drifting clouds like a wanderer's mind;
      sunset, like the heart of your old friend.

      We turn, pause, look back and wave,
      Even our ponies look back and whine.

      ~ Li Po

      Ivan at Poetry Chaikhana sent:

      Koans are riddle-like sayings or short tales used in Zen practice to startle the
      listener out of the linear mind and into open awareness...

      Two of the most famous collections of Zen koans are The Gateless Gate and The
      Blue Cliff Records. Here's a koan I like from The Gateless Gate:

      Tipping Over a Vase

      Master Hyakujo decided to found a new monastery, but he had the difficult task
      of selecting from among his disciples the right person to be the new monastery's
      abbot. Then he came upon a solution.

      Hyakujo called all his disciples together and told them that the person who best
      answered his question would be named the new abbot. Hyakujo filled a vase with
      water and set it on the ground before the assembled monks. "Who can tell me
      what this is without naming it?" he challenged.

      The senior disciple stepped forward and answered accurately, "No one can call
      it a wooden shoe."

      Then Isan, the lowly cook, stepped forward and knocked the vase over with his
      foot, and walked out of the room.

      Master Hyakujo smiled and declared, "My senior disciple has been bested." Isan
      the cook was named the new abbot.

      ==

      What just happened in this story?

      One way to understand the meaning of this story is that the water represents
      Truth or the Dharma. The vase is the vessel that holds that truth, it is the
      teaching, it is the tradition.

      That truth cannot be told, however. Sure, you can use simple words like "Truth"
      or "Reality," or you can fill books with complex philosophical explanations. But
      ultimately those are all words and don't truly convey what the Truth is. The
      "water" cannot be named. That is why Master Hyakujo gave this challenge to his
      disciples.

      The lead disciple, clearly a cunning man, sees this as a test of his mental
      dexterity. If he cannot name the water-filled vessel, he will say what it is not,
      thus suggesting it by negation. But he has only negated one object in a world of
      infinite objects. A person can spend a lifetime listing all the things something is
      not, and never come to the point where only the unnamed thing remains. The lead
      disciple is trapped on the endless road of the intellect.

      But the cook, Isan, understood the situation simply and clearly. He tipped the
      vase over, emptying the vessel and revealing the water. The truth cannot be told,
      it can only be shown.

      What's more, the truth cannot be held, it cannot be contained, it can only be
      poured out. The vase itself, the spiritual tradition, is empty and only has meaning
      as a vessel to transport the truth. By tipping over the vessel, he is suggesting
      that we must not worship the tradition itself. Religion, philosophy, spiritual
      tradition -- these are not an end to themselves; they should be respected for
      their function as a delivery vehicle, but nothing more.

      These are the insights that mark one for spiritual authority.

      Have a beautiful day!

      Ivan

      Yoshino misty temple by Paul Hillier Photography