#4809 - Tuesday, January 8, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2013
      #4809 - Tuesday, January 8, 2013 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Conversation with Fred Davis conducted by Jerry:

      Fred Davis's blog is Awakening Clarity.
      Fred studied and practiced Eastern wisdom for twenty-five years prior to 2006, when his seeking ended, and his true awakening commenced. He is the author of Beyond Recovery: Nonduality and the Twelve Steps, published by Non-Duality Press.

      Fred writes:
      I have heard this phrase attributed to numerous sources; I don't know where it originally came from, but I know that it's true, so I'll share it. "The ignorant reject what they see and believe what they think.  The wise believe what they see and reject what they think."  There it is, folks.  If you're having one of the problems referred to in this column, this is almost surely why.  But here's what happens.  We read a crystal clear truth like this, which is totally open and above board, and then we scratch our heads and go looking for the hidden meaning.

      Only there is no hidden meaning.  Our eyes are telling us, "Here, you are, look around. This is it: this here, right here, right now."  Simultaneously our minds are telling us, "This can't be it."  And therein lies the rub.  There is a disconnect between what our eyes are telling us, and what our minds are telling us, and there arises a choice about which we are going to accept as truth.  We typically opt for what our mind is saying, and I'm suggesting this is not the way to go.  I'm not talking about consciously developing a new belief system, I'm talking about developing the strategic foundation from which we will conduct all of our further inquiry.  Nonduality is not about answers, it's about questions.

      This strategic choice declares where we are operating from: as confused Awareness, or sure ego.  We tend to go with the sureness, and we tend to be WRONG.  I am far, far better off to accept this ancient observation as sound advice, and elect to throw my lot in with the wise, however confused I may be.  Now I am not searching for something new to happen, I am simply washing the window through which I peer at the world.  Sometimes I tell my clients: "These sessions are simply to keep the glass clear; they're not about making anything happen."
      ~ ~ ~
      Read the entire column at http://awakeningclarity.blogspot.ca/