#4788, Sunday - December 16, 2012

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights Issue #4788, Sunday, December 16, 2012

      It is intellectual conceptualization that raises various unnecessary issues, gets the individual trapped in its net, and makes him forget the fundamental question as to who and what the questioner himself really is.

      Ram Tzu knows this . . .

      It's not your fault.
      How could it be?

      A shadow is not responsible
      For its movements.

      A knife cannot
      Be tried for murder.

      You have been filled
      With your self.

      You believe what
      You are meant to believe.
      You go where
      You are supposed to go.

      Ram Tzu does not offer advice . . .

      Who would he offer it to?

      - Ram Tzu, No Way for the Spiritually "Advanced", Wayne Liquorman aka Ram Tzu, posted to AlongTheWay

      Meet your own self. Be with your own self, listen to it, obey it, cherish it, keep it in mind ceaselessly. You need no other guide. As long as your urge for truth affects your daily life, all is well with you. Live your life without hurting anybody. Harmlessness is a most powerful form of Yoga and it will take you speedily to your goal. This is what I call nisarga yoga, the Natural yoga. It is the art of living in peace and harmony, in friendliness and love. The fruit of it is happiness, uncaused and endless.

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj, posted to AlongTheWay

      Self-enquiry is a passive rather than an active process. Mind is allowed to subside into its source even while engaged in normal activity, which then becomes an undercurrent of witnessing that gradually extends throughout all waking hours and begins to pervade all one's activities without intruding on them or interfering with them.

      Tranquility comes only in the utter absence of resistance to the experience of the present moment and therefore has nothing to do with idealistic intellectual commitments to either action or non-action or to any other conceivable aspect of idealized behavior.

      forgiveness

      just having the occasional wayward ramble
      which may hold some wonderful truths
      or simply be the product of a febrile imagination
      ... I can never be quite sure

      when I harbour a grudge
      or a deep dislike for someone
      exactly what is going on in me?

      however much I may imagine
      that the foci of this distaste are external to me
      are they not also in my own tissue?
      I carry an idea in my mind of that person
      and my venom is aimed at that idea
      which is in the tissue of my mind

      in effect am I not damaging that tissue
      with the feeling of negation permeating it?
      feels to me like I'm isolating a part of my mind
      ring-fencing it so that it doesn't interfere
      with other processes going on, as though
      any part can be abandoned for the good of the whole

      if a part of my mind is isolated,
      left unfed, ostracised from the whole community
      do I not myself become unwhole, unholy?

      when I worked in Libya in the eighties
      I sometimes came across their map of the world
      and within the borders of Israel, the map was a blackness,
      representing a refusal to acknowledge anything about it
      ... except an active dislike, enmity, ill-will, malevolence

      and so I consider the map of my mind
      how there may be many of these dark areas and how,
      unloved, starved of a free flow of energy running through them
      they may start to ferment in their darkness

      we know the characteristic smell of a poorly aerated compost heap

      who knows what diseases may spring from such deprivation?

      I harbour this notion that all ideas have their part in the body,
      the favourite places in which they dwell, and if they're not
      invited to participate in the function of the whole
      will they not just do their own sweet thing,
      a cancerous growth, unloved, multiplying from its own
      little isolated centre without regard for the whole
      ... in the total body economy it's simply intelligently reflecting
      the privative attitude with which it has itself been excluded

      accounts say that a chap who was around roughly 2000 years ago
      was suffering extreme hardship when he uttered the words
      "forgive them for they know not what they do"

      anything that is cut off from the whole is in a state called sin
      whether I do it to myself, cutting myself off from the Now
      or I do it to these parts of my mind
      that are fed with ill-will instead of healthy, whole-hearted love

      well, we take any extract as we will,
      but I take this one to be urging me to practice
      what he was demonstrating
      ... forgiveness

      apologies for the excessive rambling

      Love,
      John

      - posted to the Now_2

      To follow one's own desires is to flee from God
      and to spill the blood of spirituality
      in the presence of His justice.

      This world is a trap, and desire its bait:
      escape the traps, and quickly
      turn your face toward God.

      When you have followed this Way,
      you have enjoyed a hundred blessings.
      When you have gone the opposite way, you have fared ill.

      So the Prophet said, "Consult your own hearts,
      even though the religious judge
      advises you about worldy affairs."

      Abandon desire, and so reveal His Mercy:
      you've learned by experience
      the sacrifice He requires.

      Since you can't escape, be His servant,
      and go from His prison into His rose garden.
      When you continually keep watch over your thoughts and actions,

      you are always seeing the Justice and the Judge,
      though heedlessness may shut your eyes,
      still, that doesn't stop the sun from shining.

      -Rumi, Mathnawi VI: 377-384, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski, Rumi: Jewels of Remembrance, posted to Sunlight