#4785 - Thursday, December 13, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2012

      #4785 - Thursday, December 13, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      One instant is eternity;
      eternity is the now.
      When you see through this one instant,
      you see through the one who sees.
      ~ Wu Men
      via Kia Pierce on Facebook

      "We must not complain that all things be fleeting.
      That which is most transient, if it really touches us,
      awakens within us something that is lasting."
      ~ Friedrich Hebbel
      Russian photographer Andrew Osokin is a master of winter macro photography.
      Among his most impressive shots are photographs of individual snowflakes that
      have fallen upon the ground and are in the process of melting away. More:

      How do you let go of attachments to things? Don't even try. It's impossible.
      Attachment to things drops away by itself when you no longer seek to find
      yourself in them.
      ~ Eckart Tolle

      Passion Fruit Flower
      When mortals are alive, they worry about death.
      When they're full, they worry about hunger.
      Theirs is the Great Uncertainty.
      But sages don't consider the past.
      And they don't worry about the future.
      Nor do they cling to the present.
      And from moment to moment they follow the Way.
      ~ Bodhidharma
      Zen Poems, Haiku & Writings on Facebook

      When we begin to see that black mud and white snow are neither ugly
      nor beautiful, when we can see them without discrimination or duality,
      then we begin to grasp Great Compassion.
      ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

      About twenty years ago, a close friend and I drove to southern Virginia to
      attend a retreat led by Vietnamese Zen teacher Thich Nhat Hanh. At the closing
      ceremony, he asked us to choose a partner — I turned to face my friend — and
      bow to each other. He then instructed us to hug our partner while taking three
      conscious and full in-breaths and out-breaths. With the first breath, he said to
      reflect: “I’m going to die”; with the second, “You’re going to die”; and with the
      third, “And we have just these precious moments.” After slowly releasing our
      embrace, my friend and I looked at each other through our tears. Thich Nhat
      Hanh had, in a beautiful way, turned us toward the refuge of truth.
      ~ Tara Brach

      Mind Wanting More
      Only a beige slat of sun
      above the horizon, like a shade pulled
      not quite down.  Otherwise,
      clouds.  Sea rippled here and
      there.  Birds reluctant to fly.
      The mind wants a shaft of sun to
      stir the grey porridge of clouds,
      an osprey to stitch sea to sky
      with its barred wings, some dramatic
      music: a symphony, perhaps
      a Chinese gong.
      But the mind always
      wants more than it has --
      one more bright day of sun,
      one more clear night in bed
      with the moon; one more hour
      to get the words right; one
      more chance for the heart in hiding
      to emerge from its thicket
      in dried grasses -- as if this quiet day
      with its tentative light weren't enough,
      as if joy weren't strewn all around.
      ~ Holly Hughes
      (American Zen A Gathering of Poets)
       Web version: www.panhala.net/Archive/MInd_Wanting_More.html