#4780 - Friday, December 7, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2012

      #4780 - Friday, December 7, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Creativity, Nonduality, Inspiration

      Posted on  2012-12-04 by Cologero

      I will let the artists speak for themselves. First we have Mozart:

      All this fires my soul and, provided I am not disturbed, my subject enlarges itself, becomes methodized and defined, and the whole, though it be long, stands almost complete and finished in my mind, so that I can survey it, like a fine picture or a beautiful statue, at a glance … All this inventing, this producing, takes place in a pleasing, lively dream.

      David Loy points out that the subject enlarges or creates itself and it is dreamlike because there is no “thinker” or directing ego. Tchaikovsky’s experience is similar:

      Generally speaking, the germ of a future composition comes suddenly and unexpectedly … It takes root with extraordinary force and rapidity, shoots up through the earth, puts forth branches and leaves, and finally blossoms.

      Some composers relate this to a religious experience. Puccini says:

      The music of this opera [Madam Butterfly] was dictated to me by God; I was merely instrumental in putting it on paper and communicating it to the public.

      Wagner’s experience is that:

      There are universal currents of Divine Thought vibrating the ether everywhere … I feel that I am one with this vibrating force.

      Finally, we need to hear what Nietzsche had to say:

      Has anyone at the end of the nineteenth century any distinct notion of what poets of a stronger age understood by the word inspiration?  If not, I will describe it.  If you had the slightest residue of superstition left in you it would hardly be possible to completely disregard the idea that one is the mere incarnation, a mouthpiece or a medium of an almighty power.  The idea of revelation in the sense of something which profoundly moves and provokes, becoming suddenly visible and audible with indescribable certainty and accuracy—is a simple description.  You hear—you do not seek; you take—and do not ask who gives: a thought suddenly flashes up like lightning, it comes as a necessity, without hesitation—I have never had any choice in the matter.  There is an ecstasy so great that the immense strain of it is sometimes relaxed by a flood of tears during which one does not know whether one is coming or going.  There is the feeling of completely being outside of oneself, with the very distinct consciousness of endless delicate shivers right down to one’s toes;—there is a depth of happiness in which the most painful and gloomy parts do not detract from the whole but are produced and required as necessary shades of colour amidst such an overflow of light.  There is an instinct for rhythmical relationships which embrace a whole world of forms: length, the need of an all-embracing rhythm, is almost the measure of the force of inspiration, a kind of compensation for its pressure and tension.

      Everything happens quite involuntarily as if in a tempestuous outburst of freedom of absolute power and divinity.  The involuntary nature of the images and similes is the most remarkable thing; one loses all perception of what is imagery and metaphor; everything seems to present itself in the readiest, the truest and simplest means of expression.  It actually seems, to use one of Zarathustra’s own phrases, as if all things came together and offered themselves as images

      Loy mentions several other poets, writers, and even mathematicians who have had similar experiences. Although Loy’s primary focus is on nonduality as understood in Taoism, the Vedanta, and Buddhism, he does show how this is the same as intellectual intuition as understood by Plotinus, Meister Eckhart,Nicolas of Cusa, and Boehme.

      ~ ~ ~

      Read the full article here:

      http://www.gornahoor.net/?p=5381&cpage=1

      Find out about David Loy's classic book, Nonduality: A Study in Comparative Philosophy:

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1573923591/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1573923591&linkCode=as2&tag=nondualitysal-20