#4775 - Sunday, December 2, 2012

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights Issue #4775, Sunday, December 2, 2012

      There You Are

      You're inside every kindness. When
      a sick person feels better, you're

      that, and the onset of disease too.
      You're sudden, terrible screaming.

      Some problems require we go for help:
      when we knock on a stranger's door,

      you sent us. Nobody answers: it's
      you! When work feels necessary, you

      are the way workers move in rhythm.
      You are what is: the field, the players,

      the ball, those watching. Someone
      claims to have evidence that you do

      not exist. You're the one who brings
      the evidence in, and the evidence

      itself. You are inside the soul's
      great fear, every natural pleasure,

      every vicious cruelty. You are in
      every difference and irritation.

      Someone loves something; someone else
      hates the same. There you are.

      Whatever eyes see, what anyone wants
      or not: political power, injustice,

      material possessions, those are your
      script, the handwriting we study.

      Body, soul, shadow. Whether reckless
      or careful, you are what we do. It's

      absurd to ask your pardon. You're
      inside repentance, and sin! The wonder

      of various jewels, agate, emerald.
      How we are during a day, then at night,

      you are those moods and qualities.
      The pure compassion we feel for each

      other. Every encampment has a tent
      where the leader is and also the wide
      truth of your imperial tent overall.

      - Rumi, Ghazal 2778, version by Coleman Barks from The Soul of Rumi, posted to Sunlight

      A Goat Kneels!

      The inner being of a human being
      is a jungle. Sometimes wolves dominate,
      sometimes wild hogs. Be wary when you breathe!

      At one moment gentle, generous qualities,
      like Joseph's, pass from one nature to another.
      The next moment vicious qualities
      move in hidden ways.

      Wisdom slips for a while into an ox!
      A restless, recalcitrant horse suddenly
      becomes obedient and smooth-gaited.

      A bear begins to dance.
      A goat kneels!

      Human consciousness goes into a dog,
      and that dog becomes a shepherd,
      or a hunter.

      In the Cave of the Seven Sleepers
      even the dogs were seekers.

      At every moment a new species rises in the chest -
      now a demon, now an angel, now a wild animal.

      There are also those in this amazing jungle
      who can absorb you into their own surrender.

      If you have to stalk and steal something,
      steal from them!

      - Rumi, Mathnawi II: 1416-1429, version by Coleman Barks from Delicious Laughter, posted to Sunlight

      O You who have transmuted one clod of earth into gold,
      and another into the Father of mankind,
      Your generous work is the transmutation of essences;
      my work is mostly forgetfulness and mistakes.
      Transmute my mistakes and forgetfulness into knowledge:
      With my imperfect nature, turn me into patience and forbearance.

      - Rumi Mathnawi V: 780-782, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski from Rumi: Jewels of Remembrance, posted to Sunlight

      On the way to God the difficulties
      feel like being ground by a millstone,
      like night coming at noon, like
      lightning through the clouds.

      But don't worry!
      What must come, comes.
      Face everything with love,
      as your mind dissolves in God.

      - Lalla, from Naked Song, version by Coleman Barks, posted to AlongTheWay

      Poem of the One World

      This morning
      the beautiful white heron
      was floating along above the water