#4769 - Monday, November 26, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2012

      #4769 - Monday, November 26, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      If I told you truth about God,
      you might think I was an idiot.

      If I lied to you about the Beautiful One
      you might parade me through the streets shouting,

      "This guy is a genius!“

      This world has its pants on backwards.
      Most carry their values and knowledge in a jug
      that has a big hole in it.

      Thus having a clear grasp of the situation
      if I am asked anything these days
      I Just laugh!

      ~ Kabir

      via Tao & Zen on Facebook

      He is here to teach You
      who We are,
      not who He is.
      When You worship the Guru,
      He has failed.
      ~ Fred LaMotte

      via Tao & Zen on Facebook

      via Tao & Zen on Facebook

      Bob O'Hearn, a reader and past contributor to NDH, just sent me an article he
      wrote about spiritual teachers and sexual misconduct. Unlike some  commentary
      on these incidents, Bob has spoken to the real source of these  problems - our
      conflicted attitudes surrounding sexuality and spirituality. This also raises
      questions about how much cultural baggage any religion brings with it.

      Bob wrote:
      I have recently weighed in on a big scandal in the Zen world involving my old
      teacher Joshu Sasaki Roshi, the latest in a steady stream of Roshis and
      Rinpoches outed for sexual misconduct. See http://www.sasakiarchive.com/

      I wrote an essay that might qualify for your Highlights newsletter, since I feel
      it addresses the issue beyond the usual condemnations and calls for more
      regulations, and explores the root of this persistent problem:
      http://theconsciousprocess.wordpress.com/2012/11/23/zen-and-the-emotionalsexual-contraction/

      Zen and the Emotional/Sexual Contraction
      Posted on November 23, 2012

      On Thanksgiving Week of 2012, one of his former students revealed in an
      internet message that Joshu Saskai Roshi, the venerable 105 year old founder
      and Zen Master of Rinzai-ji (a prominent Zen Buddhist Community in America),
      had been involved in extensive sexual misconduct with his female students. This
      particular Japanese monk has been most popularly known as the teacher of the
      famous singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen. He arrived in California from Japan
      half a century ago, and proceeded to establish many Zen Buddhist practice
      centers across the country.