#4753 - Thursday, November 8, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2012

      #4753 - Thursday, November 8, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Awakening Clarity now features the first chapter of John Wheeler's first book,
      with this introduction by publisher Julian Noyce.

      "Unusually for a teacher who has quite a substantial following, John has always
      kept up a full time career. His sharing of the teaching arises from a generosity
      of spirit. I personally know he has spent many hours in email correspondence or
      talking on the ‘phone with genuine questioners and also face to face at the
      low-key meetings he holds in Santa Cruz. His uncluttered and focused guidance
      has been credited with concluding the search for many people. My wife,
      Catherine, keeps up a presence on Facebook and tells me his name is often
      mentioned. He has the ability to keep the questioner focused and looking in the
      right direction. Alongside this, he is also a talented singer/songwriter and the
      editor of ‘Sailor’ Bob’s two books!"

      From: Awakening to the Natural State; Chap.1 - Meeting ‘Sailor’ Bob Adamson

      I had been on the spiritual path from my teenage years. For about thirty years
      I had been involved in various paths and practices, including Christianity,
      Theosophy, the teachings of J. Krishnamurti (I went to his talks in Ojai in the
      1980s), Buddhism, Hinduism, and yoga. There were other paths and teachers also,
      too numerous to mention here. In my mid-twenties, I was introduced to Ramana
      Maharshi and Nisargadatta Maharaj (through books on their lives and teachings).
      Something about those great Indian teachers of non-dual spirituality seemed
      solid and unshakable. I found myself returning to their teachings over the years,
      even though I can’t say I fully (or even partially) understood or experienced
      what they were talking about.

      Along the way, I did the circuit of many of the contemporary teachers involved
      in non-dual spirituality. There was undoubtedly a benefit, but I was not fully
      satisfied for some reason. Either it was my confusion or something was not fully
      clear in the teachings being presented. Most likely the former! For some reason
      my destiny was to meet ‘Sailor’ Bob Adamson, one of Nisargadatta Maharaj’s
      Western students.

      What I found was that there was only so much I could get from books and
      meditating on my own. The growth was there, but it was often slow, and I was not
      getting much direct experience. I vaguely felt that I was progressing, but if I
      honestly looked at my experience, I did not fully understand what the teachers
      were pointing to. Most importantly, my day-to-day life was not free of
      suffering. I knew the seeking was not over; something was missing. Had I not met
      Bob Adamson, the seeking might have gone on for decades, or at least until I met
      someone with a real understanding. Who knows who that might have been or when,
      but, barring that, I am pretty sure the seeking – and suffering – would have
      continued for a long time.

      At one point, I met some Ramana Maharshi followers who had been on the path
      of self-inquiry for twenty or thirty years (and still working at it, I might add!).
      I was nowhere near their level of devotion, so it was pretty much out the picture
      that that approach would work for me. As I look at this now, it is not so much
      Ramana’s teaching that is at fault, but the mind’s inevitable tendency to turn any
      teaching into a practice. Practices, as I eventually learned, usually are
      interminable. This is because they are often based on false premises.

      Intuitively, I felt that it was important for me to meet someone who had
      realized their true nature, someone whom I could trust, someone whom I could
      talk with in order to share my doubts and concerns. However, I was unsure which
      teachers were authentic; none seemed to resonate fully. I used to read
      Nisargadatta Maharaj’s dialogues frequently. I could not understand his teaching
      fully, given all the Hindu verbiage and translation issues (he originally spoke in
      Marathi), but I felt intuitively that he was a free being. Many spiritual seekers,
      through reading his words, can sense the genuineness of his realization, even if
      they do not always experience everything he talks about. I used to wonder if
      there was anyone still living who had met Nisargadatta Maharaj and had really
      got the experience of self-knowledge. After all those years of searching, I
      eventually stumbled across Bob Adamson. Something resonated strongly. Even
      when I read the pages on his website, there was a strong feeling of ‘maybe this is
      it’.

      Just prior to discovering Bob Adamson, I had a vivid dream of Nisargadatta
      Maharaj, in which he was encouraging me not to give up the search for spiritual
      understanding. Shortly afterwards, I learned about Bob Adamson. Not wanting
      to miss the chance of meeting an authentic teacher (having missed the chance to
      see Nisargadatta Maharaj while he was alive), I decided to visit Bob in person in
      Australia. You can imagine my motivation (or perhaps desperation!) in going to
      Australia on the chance that he might be able to clarify my doubts and questions.

      There is also a link to a video interview, and more links to John Wheeler's sites.