#4750 - Monday, November 5, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2012

      #4750 - Monday, November 5, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      I am the sum of all the landscapes I have explored, all the living memories of
      animals that sail inside of me and the people that I love.

      --Gregory Colbert

      The music of nature is everywhere if your ears know how to listen, but if you do
      not believe there is music, you will not hear it.

      --Gregory Colbert

      Under the ocean there is bliss—it is this, it is this, it is this.

      --Gregory Colbert

      I have just returned to the Namibian desert. What if through interspecies
      collaboration we could explore our shared imagination? We are accustomed to
      seeing stories through the eyes of human beings. That is why, in many of these
      images, the human eyes continue to be closed and the animals' eyes are open. It is
      the animals that gaze out at the world and tell us their stories.

      --Gregory Colbert

      People sometimes ask if I am fearful when I am in such close proximity to
      animals. I can only say that the only way that I’ve been ripped open is by having
      to leave behind elephant friends, orangutans, cheetahs, caracals, manta rays, or
      whales. But I would do every hello and goodbye over again as long as it meant
      that I would have a chance to share their stories. Animals help me to remember
      all the dreams I thought I had forgotten and remind us to dream as though we
      will live forever while living as though we shall die today.

      --Gregory Colbert

      If you are on Facebook staring at your computer screen with apathy and
      boredom, the cure for indifference might be to awaken your wild curiosity for
      how the natural world works. Mother nature does not have a happy ending
      because hers is a never-ending story. However, the human species may decide to
      end its own story on earth prematurely by continuing to make the same choices
      that it has been making since the industrial revolution. These choices are based
      on an economic model that depends on infinite resources and unlimited economic
      growth. That is a fairy tale. If we continue to believe these things we will suffer
      the consequences. We cannot change the laws of physics and it is a fact that
      there are now seven billion people crowded on this planet consuming resources at
      an unsustainable rate. Let us say goodbye to those who encourage us to live in
      delusion. Let us say goodbye to creating more environmental conferences where
      businessmen and politicians read speeches they did not write so they can agree
      yet again on maintaining the status quo. It is time to ask harder questions. We
      need a paradigm shift.

      --Gregory Colbert

      Artist
      Welcome to the official artist page of the filmmaker and photographer Gregory Colbert.
      You can link to the bookstore at: http://www.ashesandsnow.com/en/bookstore/