#4747 - Friday, November 2, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2012
      #4747 - Friday, November 2, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Some notes from Francis Lucille's talk at the Science and Nonduality Conference this past weekend:
      Satsang is being together in beingness; not talking
      I recommend satsang more than talk. When there is no talk who cares about advaita?
      If you are happy, living in harmony, constantly experiencing peace and happiness, you are on the right track.
      If a practice is boring get the hell out of it.
      Follow your heart's desire -- happiness -- from moment to moment.
      Happiness is true nature experiencing itself.
      It's normal to surround yourself with beautiful spiritual friends.

      Leaving the Science and Nonduality Conference in San Rafael, I took a cab to the airport in San Francisco. The cab driver asked me what nonduality was. Being aware of the conference, he said he had looked up nonduality in the dictionary but couldn’t find the word. I told him it wasn’t in the dictionary and said that it means we are all one in some way.

      He then quoted a few lines of a poem. I asked if it was Rumi as it was very pure. He said he wrote it. “What happened to you,” I asked. For, clearly, there was a story behind those words.

      He was a Muslim who had an enlightenment experience some years ago. “I saw something,” he said. Afterward, he was steered toward Sufism. He enjoyed telling me about his experiences and knowledge and we had the kind of open conversation that usually arises when two people have some understanding of this nonduality stuff.

      “There is only one. It is all Allah.” “Yes,” I said. He said he prays five times a day but it is mainly the first prayer in the morning, when his head touches the ground, that he knows who he really is. “When you know that all this is Allah,” he said, “there is only prayer. That is what prayer is,” he said, “seeing that all is Allah.” We agreed that different religions have different names for what some call Allah. Only sanity passed our lips.

      The cost of the ride came to $125 on his meter but he said to only pay him 100. I gave him 120. He got out of the car and we hugged, drunk on the wine of nonduality.

      I enjoyed seeing many people at SAND. Highlights contributor Rashani had a table set up. I've seen lots of her art online but you really have to see it in person to appreciate it. Rashani does many things. As an emcee of the conference I had the privilege of introducing her as a singer of traditional Hawaiian song. The introduction read,

      "Rashani was a song-gatherer for 25 years and sings in several different languages. She has offered concerts, councils, and retreats throughout the world since the early 1980s, bringing an indegenous flavor of nonduality into everything she shares. Rashani is the founder of a unique retreat center on the Big Island of Hawaii and is a prolific artist, carpenter, and gardener."

      Enter Rashani's world at

      A resident of Rashani's: