#4740 - Thursday, October 25, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2012

      #4740 - Thursday, October 25, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      "Give yourself completely to the act of listening.
      Beyond the sounds there is something greater,
      a sacredness that cannot be understood through thought."

      ~ Eckhart Tolle

      The quieter you become, the more you can hear.

      ~ Ram Dass

      photo by Alan Larus

      The Soul of Mantra - New LA Yoga article based on verse 145 of the vijnana
      bhairava tantra:

      Initiation through hearing Sanskrit in song seems to be powerful and lasting. The
      Beatles included the phrase Jai guru deva OM in their song “Across the
      Universe,”released in 1969. The Beatles were one of the most successful acts in
      the history of popular music, and the song was broadcast all over the world on
      radio stations from 1969 onward. For many, it was the first time they had ever
      heard a word of Sanskrit. Beatles fans listened to their records over and over
      with rapt attention, relishing every word and chord change, and so apparently,
      millions of people received a kind of Shaktipat, a transmission of spiritual
      energy, through the song. I started teaching meditation around this time, and
      many people came for instruction because of having heard “Across the Universe.”
      It was clear they had already meditated, deeply, many times, while listening to
      the song. It was an honor to sit in their presence, and it was as if they had been
      initiated by the song and I was just giving them some coaching on how to
      meditate. Since then, all over the world, I’ve met many people who started
      meditating because of “Across the Universe” and are still at it. What amazing
      impact that song created.

      The Beatles learned to meditate in 1967 and went to India for a retreat, so they
      were writing from intimate experience with the practice. The backstory for the
      song was that Lennon was lying in bed with his wife, who was “going on and on”
      about something that really irritated him. He got up and went downstairs, and
      the words she had been saying kept resonating in his head, like lyrics, and over
      time “it turned into sort of a cosmic song rather than an irritated song.” Lennon
      said that the four words of Sanskrit, Jai guru deva OM, just dropped into his
      mind as the bridge to the chorus, and he felt that “Across the Universe”
      contained perhaps the best lyrics he had ever written. The sound of the human
      voice, even a complaining human voice, merged in John’s awareness into the
      eternal song of OM. This is one of the secrets of mantra and meditation – the
      gift of peace and delight right here in the midst of it all. If you dive deeply into
      any sound, external or within, it will take you into the hum of the universe.

      Across the Universe, by the Beatles. Written and sung by John Lennon.

      Q: My yoga teacher told me not to meditate with pets because they steal your
      spiritual energy. But whenever I start meditating, my pets sense it and scratch
      at the door to get in. What should I do?

      A: In the age of ignorance, many monks were jealous of cows, and of the jewelry
      bestowed on royal elephants. So they invented such nonsense. Now we know that
      animals are as holy as angels, and it is au spicious to meditate with them.

      Don't the gods have pets? The holy spirit descends on Jesus in the form of a
      Dove. Durgha rides a lion. Shiva meditates with a pet serpent around his neck.
      Krishna leans on a moonlit calf to play his sacred flute. Without their pets, the
      gods would become arrogant. So would we.

      The golden fur of a poodle is sacred. It transmutes heavenly energy from your
      crown, through your fingers, into the earth. Animals keep our hearts open and
      healthy (even though some cats are Republicans).

      If you don't meditate with at least three pets curled up beside you, how will you
      ever know the meaning of Sat-Sang?

      These are the words of Freddy-Ji; they come straight from the belly button.
      ~ Fred LaMotte

      The Radiance Sutras

      One day The Goddess sang to her lover Bhairava,
      Beloved and radiant Lord of the space before birth,
      Revealer of essence,
      Slayer of the ignorance that binds us,
      You, who in play have created this universe
      and permeated all forms in it with never-ending truth.
      I have been wondering . . .
      I have been listening to the songs of creation,
      I have heard the sacred sutras being sung,
      and yet still I am curious.
      What is this delight-filled universe
      into which we find ourselves born?
      What is this mysterious awareness shimmering
      everywhere within it?
      What are these instinctive energies
      that undulate through our bodies,
      moving us into action?
      And this “matter” out of which our forms are made -
      What are these dancing particles of condensed radiance,
      Are they an illusionist's projection?
      What is this power we call Life,
      appearing as the play of flesh and breath?
      How may I know this mystery and enter it more deeply?
      Beloved, my attention is ensnared by a myriad of forms,
      the innumerable individual entities everywhere.
      Lead me into the wholeness beyond all these parts.
      You, who hold the mysteries in your hand -
      of will, knowledge and action,
      Reveal to me the path of illumined knowing.
      Lead me into joyous union
      with the life of the universe.
      Teach me that I may know it fully,
      realize it deeply,
      and breathe in the truth of it.

      translation by Lorin Roche
      more verses: posted by Roxanne Chapdelaine on Facebook

      The Radiance Sutras is a fresh translation of an ancient Tantra Yoga text, the
      Vijnana Bhairava Tantra, a love song between Devi and Bhairava, (Shakti and
      Shiva) in which they sing the classic tantra, chakra, kundalini, mantra, mudra
      practices, and many more.