#4736 - Saturday, October 20, 2012

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights Issue #4736, Saturday, October 20, 2012

      The idea of enlightenment is of utmost importance. Just to know that there is such possibility, changes one's entire outlook. It acts like a burning match in a heap of saw dust. All the great teachers did nothing else. A spark of truth can burn up a mountain of lies. The opposite is also true. The sun of truth remains hidden behind the cloud of self-identification with the body.d

      There is no greater mystery than this, that we keep seeking reality though in fact we are reality. We think that there is something hiding reality and that this must be destroyed before reality is gained. How ridiculous!

      - Sri Ramana Maharshi, posted to AlongTheWay

      The Yogi says you should be
      transparent to everything whatever that happens,
      and as it is going through, observe it.

      Don't refuse it.

      To refuse it is to condition yourself with it.

      Take anything whatever that comes to you,
      and as it is passing through you,
      merely observe that it is going through.

      You don't respond and you don't reject.

      You merely observe the passage of this
      ... the ghost train of impulses through your station.

      - Eugene Halliday posted to The_Now2

      The real work belongs to someone who desires God
      and has severed himself from every other work.

      The rest are like children who play together until it gets dark
      for these few short days.

      Or like someone who awakes and springs up, still drowsy,
      and then is lulled back to sleep by the suggestion of an evil nurse:
      "Go to sleep, my darling, I won't let anyone disturb your slumber."

      If you are wise, you, yourself, will tear up your slumber by the roots,
      like the thirsty man who heard the noise of the water.

      God says to you, "I am the noise of the water in the ears of the thirsty;
      I am rain falling from heaven.
      Spring up, lover, show some excitement!
      How can you hear the sound of water and then fall back asleep?!"

      - Rumi Mathnawi VI: 586-592, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski from Rumi: Jewels of Remembrance, posted to Sunlight

      if you can't go to sleep
      my dear soul
      for tonight
      what do you think will happen

      if you pass your night
      and merge it with dawn
      for the sake of heart
      what do you think will happen

      if the entire world
      is covered with the blossoms
      you have labored to plant
      what do you think will happen

      if the elixir of life
      that has been hidden in the dark
      fills the desert and towns
      what do you think will happen

      if because of
      your generosity and love
      a few humans find their lives
      what do you think will happen

      if you pour an entire jar
      filled with joyous wine
      on the head of those already drunk
      nk what do you think will happen

      go my friend
      bestow your love
      even on your enemies
      if you touch their hearts
      what do you think will happen

      - Rumi Ghazal 838, translation by Nader Khalili from Rumi, Fountain of Fire, posted to Sunlight

      Give up all questions except one: 'Who am I?' After all, the only fact you are sure of is that you are. The 'I am' is certain. The 'I am this' is not. Struggle to find out what you are in reality. To know what you are, you must first investigate and know what you are not. Discover all that you are not - body, feelings, thoughts, time, space, this or that - nothing, concrete or abstract, which you perceive can be you. The very act of perceiving shows that you are not what you perceive. The clearer you understand that on the level of mind you can be described in negative terms only, the quicker will you come to the end of your search and realize that you are the limitless being.