#4734 - Thursday, October 18, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2012

      #4734 - Thursday, October 18, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      "To each thing, its own
        true deepest inner nature:
      water does not think
      of itself as consort
      of the bright moonlight it hosts."

      ~ Sogi

      From the book: "The Poetry of Zen," published by Shambhala
      via Daily Dharma

      photo by Alan Larus

      Just as many rivers are one in the ocean
      All half-truths are swallowed by the one truth;
      The effulgence of the sun illuminates all dark corners.

      Clouds draw water from the ocean to fall as rain on the earth
      And there is neither increase nor decrease;
      Just so, reality remains unaltered like the pure sky.

      Replete with the Buddha's perfections
      Sahaja is the one essential nature;
      Beings are born into it and pass into it,
      Yet there is neither existence nor non-existence in it.

      ~ Saraha, from Dohakosa
      With thanks to Kia Pierce posting excerpts on Facebook

      photo by Alan Larus

      The nature of beginning and end is here and now,
      And the first does not exist without the last;
      The rational fool conceptualising the inconceivable
      Separates emptiness from compassion.

      The bee knows from birth
      That flowers are the source of honey;
      How can the fool know
      That samsara and nirvana are one?

      ~ Saraha, from Dohakosa

      The concepts of unity and multiplicity do not bring integration;
      Only through awareness do sentient beings reach freedom.
      Cognition of radiance is strong meditation;
      Abide in a calm, quiescent mind.

      ~ Saraha, from Dohakosa

      The way I see it, there's no call for anything special,
      just act ordinary.  ~ Lin Chi

      "Julie and Haley"
      photo by Tom McFerran

      A Prayer among Friends

      Among other wonders of our lives, we are alive
      with one another, we walk here
      in the light of this unlikely world
      that isn't ours for long.
      May we spend generously
      the time we are given.
      May we enact our responsibilities
      as thoroughly as we enjoy
      our pleasures. May we see with clarity,
      may we seek a vision
      that serves all beings, may we honor
      the mystery surpassing our sight,
      and may we hold in our hands
      the gift of good work
      and bear it forth whole, as we
      were borne forth by a power we praise
      to this one Earth, this homeland of all we love.

      by John Daniel, from Of Earth.
      © Lost Horse Press, 2012
      via The Writer's Almanac