#4730 - Saturday/Sunday, October 13/14, 2012

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights Issue #4730, Saturday/Sunday, October 13/14, 2012

      Baby's World

      I wish I could take a quiet corner in the heart of my baby's very
      own world.
      I know it has stars that talk to him, and a sky that stoops
      down to his face to amuse him with its silly clouds and rainbows.
      Those who make believe to be dumb, and look as if they never
      could move, come creeping to his window with their stories and with
      trays crowded with bright toys.
      I wish I could travel by the road that crosses baby's mind,
      and out beyond all bounds;
      Where messengers run errands for no cause between the kingdoms
      of kings of no history;
      Where Reason makes kites of her laws and flies them, the Truth
      sets Fact free from its fetters.

      - Rabindranath Tagore

      The thinking mind, the ego, the "me" are all the same. They are different names for the same thing, which is an illusion.

      - Ramesh Balsekar

      Don't worry about saving these songs!
      And if one of our instruments breaks,
      it doesn't matter.

      We have fallen into the place
      where everything is music.

      The strumming and the flute notes
      rise into the atmosphere,
      and even if the whole world's harp
      should burn up, there will still be
      hidden instruments playing.

      So the candle flickers and goes out.

      We have a piece of flint, and a spark.

      This singing-art is sea foam.
      The graceful movements come from a pearl
      somewhere on the ocean floor.

      Poems reach up like the edge of driftwood
      along the beach, wanting and wanting!

      They derive
      from a slow and powerful root
      that we can't see.

      Stop the words now.
      Open the window in the center of your chest,
      and let the spirits fly in and out.

      - Rumi, Ghazal 110, from the Diwan-e Shams, version by Coleman Barks from Like This, posted to Sunlight

      A Caution To Everybody

      Consider the auk;
      Becoming extinct because he forgot how to fly, and could only walk.
      Consider man, who may well become extinct
      Because he forgot how to walk and learned how to fly before he thinked.

      - Ogden Nash

      We can see that our whole activity is self-centered. We keep thinking about ourselves endlessly: we must improve ourselves; we want a better job; we must fulfill ourselves; we want a better relationship; we want to achieve enlightenment. Our self-concern motivates all our activities. It is this preoccupation with the self and rivalry with the 'other', which brings about isolation and loneliness. We try to escape from it in various ways, but such strategies cannot succeed.

      - Ramesh Balsekar

      If I should labor through daylight and dark,
      Consecrate, valorous, serious, true,
      Then on the world I may blazon my mark;
      And what if I don't, and what if I do?

      - Dorothy Parker

      Satsang is a tongueless teacher and headless students. So shut your head, let your Heart open, and Truth will reveal itself to you in Silence. Only pay attention to That with your open Heart.

      - Papaji, posted to AlongTheWay