#4725 - Monday, October 8, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8 10:54 PM

      #4725 - Monday, October 8, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      Whatever purifies you, is the correct road,
      I will try not to define it.
      ~ Rumi

      "Imagine training your mind so that when you look at every single living being,
      you think, 'My enlightenment depends on that being.
      The drunk who just got on the bus--my enlightenment depends on him.
      The soldier in Iraq--my enlightenment depends on him.
      My brothers and sisters, the teller at the bank, the janitor at my workplace, the
      president of the United States, the suicide bombers in the Middle East, the slug
      in my garden, my eighth-grade boyfriend, the babysitter when I was a kid--my
      enlightenment depends on each of them.'
      All sentient beings are actually that precious to us."
      ~ Bhikshuni Thubten Chodron
      From the book, "Cultivating a Compassionate Heart: The Yoga Method of
      Chenrezig," published by Snow Lion Publications.
      via Daily Dharma

      “Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a
      person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the
      wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.”
      ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

      photo by Alan Larus, "Under The Bridge".
      from Merton's 'The Way of Chuang Tzu'.

      *the true man*

      What is meant by a "true man"?
      The true men of old were not afraid
      When they stood alone in their views.
      No great exploits. No plans.
      If they failed, no sorrow.
      No self-congratulation in success.
      They scaled cliffs, never dizzy,
      Plunged in water, never wet,
      Walked through fire and were not burnt.
      Thus their knowledge reached all the way
      To Tao.
      The true men of old
      Slept without dreams,
      Woke without worries.
      Their food was plain.
      They breathed deep.
      True men breathe from their heels.
      Others breathe with their gullets,
      Half-strangled in dispute
      They heave up arguments
      Like vomit.
      Where the fountains of passion
      Lie deep
      The heavenly springs
      Are soon dry.
      The true men of old knew no zest for life,
      No dread of death.
      Their entrance was without gladness,
      Their exit, yonder,
      Without resistance.
      Easy come, easy go.
      They did not forget where they came from,
      Nor ask where to,
      Nor drive grimly forward
      Fighting their way through life.
      They took life as it came, gladly;
      They took death as it came, without care,
      And went away yonder,
      They had no mind to fight Tao.
      They did not try, by their own contriving,
      To help Tao along.
      These are the ones we call true men.
      Minds free, thoughts gone
      Brows clear, faces serene.
      Were they cool? Only cool as autumn.
      Were they hot? No hotter than spring.
      All that came out of them
      Came quiet, like the four seasons.
      [the character Merton translates in the traditional manner as "man" is actually
      gender neutral, and should be read as such]

      Terry Murphy on Nonduality Salon