#4720 - Wednesday, October 3, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2012
      #4720 - Wednesday, October 3, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      New interview with Coleman Barks. Very interesting.

      Talk live with these pioneering women teachers
      about sex, money, creativity, body image, and changing the world.
      Free tele-summit.

        Markandeya Gita

          51. To meditate is sublime. Meditation is the center. We feel embedded in a world of multiplicity, and yet we sense the Universal. Meditation, then, is the doorway by which duplicity is subsumed into Universality.

      The three-fold Trika tells us in no uncertain terms that one who can meditate with perfect Awareness in the midst of daily life is far superior to one who can meditate upon retiring to a forest or a cave.

      I remember, with a certain amount of fondness, the days that I used to meditate every day for many hours in a single story home with six kids, a wife, and two cats. In fact, the lone bathroom was right outside our bedroom door (where the puja was). I can tell you with an absolute surety that one can indeed experience one's own inner divinity amidst the sound of a flushing toilet bowl.

      When meditating we do not lose our senses or our sense perception; what we loose is the sense of outward oriented Awareness. That is to say, Awareness is withdrawn firstly from the five senses, and then from the mind itself. When Awareness is withdrawn from the mind there is a very natural movement away from reaching out and grabbing what we perceive.

      This is most important, this movement away from our constant judgements on sense perceptions by the mind.

      Did you know, O Lovers of Shiva, that things only matter because we make it so? Things have weight in our mind because we give them weight. What is quite interesting to one individual might not be worth a second glance to another. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

      And so we meditate. We withdraw Awareness from the senses, from the mind, and simply abide in Awareness. Like two mirrors put in front of each other, we plunge into the state of Awareness that is Aware of Awareness. We cannot describe this state as if it were an object, for it is the energy of Subjectivity. We can only allude to it, speak of it, learn from divine ones how to partake in it. One who remains inwardly in the energy of Subjectivity whilst moving about in daily life is called a Siddha, one who abides in perfect non-duality. For such a one, meditation is the natural state; there is no "meditation vs. mundane life."

      I remember a story my Guru, Mahamandaleshwar Swami Nityananda, once told; when he was a boy of around ten years he was playing in the ashram's main hall with another boy. A man who was sitting for meditation became annoyed and asked them if they were aware that he was meditating, to which my Guru replied "If you were meditating, we wouldn't be bothering you!"

      Which brings me back to the beginning of this song wherein I was describing the sounds of children's shrill voices and a flushing toilet bowl. Regarding meditation, some advice:

      When meditating, you will still hear but don't listen; you will still see but don't look; you will still smell but don't sniff; you will still taste but don't relish; you will still touch but don't feel. These things have no weight when the mind is still.

      The senses and the brain still work as well as ever, but we don't mind. We don't give these sensory activities any weight because we have put our mind to bed for a time in order that we may abide perfectly.

      It's the best, free, and most rewarding vacation from mental duplicity that we will ever take.

                                                                                                                    ---Markandeya