#4712 - Thursday, September 20, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2012
      #4712 - Thursday, September 20, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Finding a Teacher

      In the woods I came on an old friend fishing
      and I asked him a question
      and he said Wait

      fish were rising in the deep stream
      but his line was not stirring
      but I waited
      it was a question about the sun

      about my two eyes
      my ears my mouth
      my heart the earth with its four seasons
      my feet where I was standing
      where I was going

      it slipped through my hands
      as though it were water
      into the river
      it flowed under the trees
      it sank under hulls far away
      and was gone without me
      then where I stood night fell

      I no longer knew what to ask
      I could tell that his line had no hook
      I understood that I was to stay and eat with him

      W.S. Merwin

      Just Now

      In the morning as the storm begins to blow away
      the clear sky appears for a moment and it seems to me
      that there has been something simpler than I could ever
      believe
      simpler than I could have begun to find words for
      not patient not even waiting no more hidden
      than the air itself that became part of me for a while
      with every breath and remained with me unnoticed
      something that was here unnamed unknown in the days
      and the nights not separate from them
      not separate from them as they came and were gone
      it must have been here neither early nor late then
      by what name can I address it now holding out my thanks

      W.S. Merwin

      EMERALD EDEN

      Some 40 years ago the renowned poet W.S. Merwin relocated to Maui, and made
      a home on a piece of abused land. Since then he has planted thousands of palm
      trees there, creating his own kind of Hawaiian paradise.

      Merwin, in his greenhouse, came to Maui in the 1970s to study Zen Buddhism.  A
      friend told him of some available land on the coast. When he went to  investigate,
      he says, "I heard plovers sailing overhead in pairs. I was hearing  the same clear,
      rising notes that they called to each other on their long migration flights at
      night over the sea. That sound was the first thing about  the place that caught
      me, like the note of a bell." It was the beginning of what was to become a grand
      project. He has since planted some 850 different palm species on the property.

      Photograph by Diane Cook and Len Jenshel