#4707 - Friday, September 14, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2012
       #4707 - Friday, September 14, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      New release from Non-Duality Press:

      Excerpt from Full Stop! The Gateway to Present Perfection, by John Wheeler

      http://non-dualitypress.org/products/full-stop

      Awareness and ‘Pure’ Consciousness

      Question: I was hoping to ask another question about an area of

      confusion that tends to come and go. That is a big clue right there!

      Ha! The awareness is here. And the ‘I am’ as an assumption, or a

      deeply held idea, is also clear.

      John: Why even say it is ‘deeply held’? It is just an idea, one

      among many others.

      Q: There is a regular seeing of thoughts and feelings.

      John: Yes?

      Q: There almost seems to be two levels of consciousness. One is the

      personal conditioning of the human being that generates the experience

      that each person perceives, and interprets events and others

      according to their individual genetic and historical conditioning.

      John: But this is not consciousness. It is an appearance in

      the consciousness. It is rather mechanical, and, if you like,

      ‘conditioned’.

      Q: The other experience is the impersonal consciousness that seems

      to manifest the phenomenal universe.

      John: Yes, the universe appears in consciousness.

      Q: It does seem that the body is needed in order to perceive the manifest

      world. It is like a camera, a viewing lens that makes sense of

      what otherwise could not be seen or experienced. Does this seem

      right so far?

      John: Exactly true.

      Q: The non-conceptual awareness is prior to both of those and is the

      source of both of them, in an ultimate sense.

      John: If you want to use that language, I would agree. Some

      people make a slight differentiation between ‘consciousness’

      and ‘awareness’. In that case, consciousness is ‘consciousness

      of ’, while awareness shines before, during and after all acts or

      experiences of consciousness. You are the awareness, while

      consciousness comes and goes in and on that, like a wave on

      water. They are the same substance or essence.

      Q: In

      I Am That, Nisargadatta Maharaj says that the body identification

      is one of the most difficult identifications to see through.

      I find this true. It seems as if the awareness is located in the body.

      What pointers or inquiries clarify this? There is awareness of bodily

      sensations, feelings, senses, etc. There is also a clear awareness that

      the body changes all the time, while this basic sense of beingness

      never changes. Is this it? Is that all there is to this?

      John: Yes. Not only the body, but all experiences are in consciousness

      — other bodies, the world, the mind, etc. If you

      care to make a distinction between consciousness and awareness,

      then that consciousness also comes and goes in awareness.

      Nisargadatta Maharaj (actually his translators) usually

      used the term ‘beingness’ as a synonym for the transient

      consciousness.

      Q: I may be getting confused by the word ‘awareness’ as a pointer

      to the absolute reality. Awareness seems like something that would

      be more characteristic of the body-mind or the nonverbal ‘I am’

      consciousness, rather than an attribute of pure consciousness, the

      absolute reality.

      John: ‘Awareness’ and ‘pure consciousness’ are the same

      pointer, so use whatever word works best for you.

      Q: Without the body and its perceptual mechanisms, how could the

      absolute view anything?

      John: This is exactly the point. There are no objects or any

      need to view anything without the presence of the body,

      senses and mind. So pause, and realise that all those appearances

      come and go in what you ultimately are.

      ~ ~ ~

      Find out more and order Full Stop! here:

      http://non-dualitypress.org/products/full-stop