#4705 - Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2012
       #4705 - Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Here are three stories/links about happiness, habits, and cravings. One is more interesting and fascinating than the other!

      Martha writes:

      jerry,

      interesting Western/popularizing re-statement of some ancient discoveries
      "is it really the case that gall bladder surgery and a trip to Paris are the same thing?"

      http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_asks_why_are_we_happy.html

      hearing it, i thought of you and your work... doesn't seem to me a bad thing that almost 4 million have watched this. so many have simply never encountered these basically simple understandings.

      Detailed overview of The Power of Habit, by Charles Duhigg

      Reviewed by Dustin LindenSmith

      The New York Times investigative journalist Charles Duhigg’s The Power of Habit http://charlesduhigg.com/the-power-of-habit/ is a lively and engaging read that teaches you about the neurophysiology of habit formation through a series of page-turning anecdotes from various sectors of society. Split mainly into three sections dealing with the habits of individuals, of organizations, and then of society, Duhigg illustrates how the deeply-researched and well-understood "habit loop" (i.e. cue, routine, reward) is manifest (and subsequently modified) in a variety of interesting situations.

      Read the full review:

      The Compulsion Inquiry~Self as Contraction, Manifesting as Compulsion

      September 9, 2012 by colettekelso

      Over at Living Realization, we’ve been working on a new form of inquiry specifically designed to address addiction and compulsive behavior. It’s called the Compulsion Inquiry (CI). Scott Kiloby’s book on addiction, Natural Rest, http://kiloby.com/recovery.php?writingid=183 will be out in a few months, and all is revealed expertly there, so without going into a lengthy description here, there is an aspect that is of particular interest in regard to the unfindable self.

      In brief, first we look for the command to use, or engage in the compulsive behavior, in images, words, and bodily sensations. For instance, the image of a cigarette, or even the cigarette itself—Where is there a command to smoke in either the image or even the cigarette in your hand? We go through all possible associations with the behavior, even looking at a clock, the place where the behavior occurs, and other triggers, like smoking with a morning cup of coffee. No command can be found anywhere.

      Then it can be seen that when an urge or a craving arises, there is an almost fleeting, flash image of the act itself, like a “ghost image” of the activity already happening. When this image is seen, really looked at, prior to using, the craving miraculously seems to disappear, or is simply forgotten.

      Read the entire article here: