#4697 - Sunday, Septermber 2, 2012

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights Issue #4697, Sunday, Septermber 2, 2012

      Central to Buddha's teaching is seeing the equality among humanity and the importance of equality of all sentient beings. Whether you are a Buddhist or not, this is something important to know and to understand.

      Then you must also see the potential for developing a loving kind of patience, a tolerance founded on the basis of courage, not on the basis of pessimism. Tolerance and patience with courage are not signs of failure, but signs of victory. In your daily life, as you learn more patience, more tolerance with wisdom and courage, you will see it is the true source of success. Actually, if you are too impatient, that's a real failure.

      All different religions carry the essence of these ideas or teachings, but I feel the Buddhist practices are especially profound and detailed, so maybe they can contribute to the West and even to Christianity. You can remain a Christian, meantime taking some Buddhist techniques.

      Q. What can we do to help end suffering in the world? What can one individual do?

      A. We must each lead a way of life with self-awareness and compassion, to do as much as we can. Then, whatever happens, we will have no regrets.

      All want happiness and not suffering. Even from insects onwards, each being wants happiness. We are only one, whereas others are infinite in number. This, it can be clearly decided that others gaining happiness is more important than just yourself alone. From beginningless time until now, we have brought ourselves into great difficulties through selfishness. We should turn this around and consider others to be more important. Beings such as animals of all kinds have no choice to understand this fact, whereas we are humans who have gained this fine human life where such [things] can be understood. We have some intelligence and with that can understand the value of cherishing others and the faults of cherishing ourselves. We now need to implement this, to put it into actual practice, not just to leave it at understanding. We should think, "If I don't achieve this now, when could I possibly achieve it?"

      - H.H the 14th Dalai Lama, from The Spirit of Tibet: Universal Heritage, posted to DailyDharma

      When you eat too much,
      you forget your truth,

      and fasting makes you conceited,
      so eat with some discipline,
      and consciously. Be
      an ordinary human being.

      Then the door will open,
      and you'll recognize the way.
      Lalla, be moderate!

      - Lalla from Naked Song -Versions by Coleman Barks, posted to AlongTheWay

      There's nothing from which the world could profit more than from giving up profit. A man who's no longer thinking in terms of winning and losing is truly a non-violent man, since he's above all conflicts.

      The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands, and then work outward from there.

      - Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance:An Inquiry Into Values, posted to The_Now2

      Nothing shows up false without the true:
      the fool took false coin
      hoping it might be gold.
      If there were no genuine coin in the world,
      how would it be possible to pass fakes?
      Unless there is truth,
      how could there be lies?
      Falsity gets its value from the existence of truth.
      Some want the wrong in hope that it will be right.

      - Rumi Mathnawi II:2928-2931, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski from Rumi: Daylight, posted to Sunlight

      Self-pity is the cause of all life's grievances.

      Bowl of Saki, September 2, by Hazrat Inayat Khan

      Commentary by Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan:

      If one studies one's surroundings one finds that those who are happy are so because they have less thought of self. If they are unhappy it is because they think of themselves too much. A person is more bearable when he thinks less of himself. And a person is unbearable when he is always thinking of himself. There are many miseries in life, but the greatest misery is self-pity.

      Self-pity is the worst poverty. When a person says, 'I am...' with pity, before he has said anything more he has diminished himself to half of what he is; and what is said further, diminishes him totally; nothing more of him is left afterwards. There is so much in the world that we can pity and which it would be right for us to take pity upon, but if we have no time free from our own self we cannot give our mind to others in the world. Life is one long journey, and the further behind we have left our self, the further we have progressed toward the goal. Verily when the false self is lost the true self is discovered.

      The heart becomes wide by forgetting self, but narrow by thinking of the self and pitying one's self. To gain a wide and broad heart you must have something before you to look upon, and to rest your intelligence upon - and that something is the God-ideal.

      - posted to SufiMystic