#4692 - Monday, August 27, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27 8:34 PM
      #4692 - Monday, August 27, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      It's a funny thing about the mind. There is a way in which the mind, no matter
      how hard it works, never gets there. The minute you realize that and
      surrender into being, rather than knowing, you've just moved to the next level.

      ~ Ram Dass

      by Alan Larus

      "We are so obsessed with doing that we have no time and no imagination left
      for being. As a result, men are valued not for what they are but for what they
      do or what they have - for their usefulness."

      "Do not depend on the hope of results. You may have to face the fact that
      your work will be apparently worthless and even achieve no result at all, if
      not perhaps results opposite to what you expect. As you get used to this idea,
      you start more and more to concentrate not on the results, but on the value,
      the rightness, the truth of the work itself. You gradually struggle less and less
      for an idea and more and more for specific people. In the end, it is the reality
      of personal relationship that saves everything."

      "We are already one. But we imagine that we are not. And what we have to
      recover is our original unity. What we have to be is what we are."

      "The whole idea of compassion is based on a keen awareness of the
      interdependence of all living beings, which are all part of one another, and all
      involved in one another"

      ~Thomas Merton

      via Tao & Zen on Facebook

      What Calls the Eye to See
      by Adyashanti

      It isn’t that appearance is spread before and the seer watches remaining
      behind. It’s his ‘pulsation’ when he sees himself. ~ Jnanadeva

      What you are now stands before me immortal and true. I see it in the ground
      underfoot, and in the clouds in the sky, and in the mist gathering among the
      canyons, and in the face of the old man walking his grandchild down the
      sidewalk.

      In the robes of monks I see it, and in the rags worn by the women begging for
      change outside the supermarket. I see it in the sympathetic eyes of the mother
      greeting her young son as he returns home from the war, and in the father
      trying to comfort his baby daughter as he stands in line at the grocery store.
      I see it in the curve of my face in the mirror, and in the multitudes of stars in
      the sky.

      I not only see it but I hear it as well. I hear it in the cries of the newborn
      baby hungry for its mother’s breast, and in the laughter of the old men sitting
      in the donut store together, and in the quiet sobs of the man placing flowers at
      his wife’s grave. I hear it in the ancient chants echoing through the open
      window of the old church, and in the ladies sitting on benches in the garden
      laughing with delight, and in the man working at the butcher shop asking his
      customers “Who’s next?”

      What calls the ear to listen or the eye to see more than the surface façade
      that shrouds the essential spirit? Parting the strata and dross, what is
      essential picks its way through the manicured narrative of endless lives. In
      each moment of every day, Truth is not lacking or held in abeyance for some
      later date; it is given in full measure, and abundantly so.

      Don't be afraid of what appears to be chaos or dissolution -- embrace the full
      measure of your life at any cost. Bare your heart to the Unknown and never
      look back. What you are stands content, invisible, and everlasting. All means
      have been provided for our endless folly to split open into eternal delight.

      Awakening is all about perspective. From a narrow focus on personal identity,
      we awaken into an infinitely vast yet intimate view, where we see everything
      as it really is: eternal and sacred.
      ~~~
      The August issue of the TAT Forum is now online at...
      www.tatfoundation.org/forum.htm

      photo by Alan Larus