#4688 - Thursday, August 23, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2012

      #4688 - Thursday, August 23, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      An ancient name for God is "surprise."

      The parched know –
      real thirst
      draws rainwater
      from an empty sky.

      ~ Real Thirst, Poetry of the Spiritual Journey
      Poems & Translations by Ivan M. Granger
      http://www.poetry-chaikhana.com/Publications/Real_Thirst/

      via Kia Pierce

      "We tend to associate love or loving-kindness with a feeling or emotion, but I
      don't think it's that. I think it's something deeper, it's really about being
      able to connect rather than exclude."

      ~ Sharon Salzberg

      by Alan Larus

      "Spiritual people can be some of the most violent people you will ever meet.
      Mostly, they are violent to themselves. They violently try to control their
      minds, their emotions, and their bodies. They become upset with themselves
      and beat themselves up for not rising up to the conditioned mind's idea of
      what it believes enlightenment to be. No one ever became free through  such
      violence.

      Why is it that so few people are truly free? Because they try  to conform to
      ideas, concepts, and beliefs in their heads. They try to  concentrate their way
      to heaven. But freedom is about the natural state, the  spontaneous and
      un-self-conscious expression of beingness. If you want to  find it, see that the
      very idea of "a someone who is in control" is a concept  created by the mind.
      Take one step backward into the unknown."

      — Adyashanti

      "It is a myth that [when I’m truly enlightened] I can rest in some assuredness
      that I will never again feel insecure, or feel fear, or feel doubt, or feel those
      emotions that we don't want to feel.
      Forget it.
      That's the pipe dream.
      That's the opium that’s sold to the masses.
      And they eat it up and they never get there, and they end up disillusioned.

      That's not how it works. Freedom is never freedom "from."
      If it's freedom "from" anything, it's not freedom at all.
      It's freedom "to."
      Are you free enough to be afraid?
      Are you free enough to feel insecure?
      Are you free enough not to know?
      Are you free enough to know that you can’t know?
      Are you free enough to be totally comfortable, to know that you can't know
      what's around the next corner?
      How you will feel about it?
      How you will respond to it?
      That you literally can't know?
      Are you free enough to be totally at ease and comfort with the way things actually are?
      That's freedom."

      — Adyashanti

      Nis. Maharaj: How did you get this "I Amness"? Did it come spontaneously, or
      did you try for it? As the Absolute, you were free from all concepts,
      including the primary concept "I Am"; suddenly you were caught up in this "I
      Amness". Who did it? Has it not happened spontaneously?

      Questioner: Yes, that is true.

      M: You did not have this concept "I Am" in the course of the nine months in
      the womb. Understand this state of affairs; the concept "I Am" comes
      spontaneously and goes spontaneously. Amazingly, when it appears, it is
      accepted as real. All subsequent misconceptions arise from that feeling of
      reality in the "I Amness." Try to stabilize in that primary concept "I Am", in
      order to lose that and with it all other concepts. Why am I totally free?
      Because I have understood the unreality of that "I Am". I offer my
      salutations to all the prophets, creeds, religions, etc. I know they are not real,
      they are only the play of this consciousness. The Truth, the Eternal, cannot be
      witnessed. It ever prevails. In your true state there are no words, but you
      think yourself important and you embrace many words. Poor human beings are
      caught between worldly life and spiritual life. One in a million understands all
      this play of consciousness, transcends it.

      by Alan Larus