#4682 - Friday, August 17, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2012
       #4682 - Friday, August 17, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Nonduality defined. An excerpt from

      Four Songs of Non Duality: The Ashtavakra, Avadhut, Ribhu and Bhagavad Gitas

      By Roy Melvyn

      Manifestation is duality; the world is duality. Consciousness and the objects of consciousness constitute duality. However, there is something that serves to support all this. Whether it is called God, Awareness, the Absolute or any other name, it is the inherent Oneness from which every thing emerges and returns. it is Non-Dual.

      Nonduality is a hard concept to grasp at first because the mind is trained to make distinctions in the world and nonduality is the rejection of distinction. Not to say that all differences are eliminated, merely transformed into relationships. Exploration is like a journey toward the understanding of truth and the desire for nonduality. Conclusions and explanations are drawn from every walk of life. There is something for everyone in the journey including beliefs from Judaism, Christianity, Islam, the Native American tradition, Hinduism and Buddhism.

      The most fundamental proposition is that ”I" exist, and all else in the universe is ”not I". While making practical distinctions, such as day and night, hot and cold, north and south, etc., our conditioned awareness also expresses itself as a judgmental spectrum with negative at one pole and positive at the other. And it ingrains a habitual mindset, a thought pattern, based inevitably on this kind of division, and the desire, fear, and actions that arise from it. In other words, our dualistic viewpoint -- which we take for granted -- is at the root of our divisiveness, dissatisfaction, and conflicting values; in short, of our unhappiness.

      For millennia, teachers of nonduality, in traditions such as Buddhism, Taoism, Gnostic Christianity, and Advaita Vedanta, have assured us that it is possible to transcend the limitation of dualistic awareness, and thereby live in an awareness of dualities absence, which turns out to be: harmony, contentment and equanimity. Non-dual, of course, means ”not two"; so, nonduality is the condition of Oneness as a living experience; the transcendence of our dualistically perceived unhappiness.

      Non Dual awareness represents a shift in perspective. It is what results by the dissolution of the separative image of a self, an ”I", the concepts used to describe who we think we are. At this juncture, I believe it is more appropriate to allow others to define the non-dual than for me to continue the endeavor myself:

      When the Ten Thousand things are viewed in their oneness, we return to Origin and remain where we have always been. [Sen T’sen]

      As long as this ordinary ”I” was present . . . everything I perceived was confused and hidden by that personality. Now that the everyday ”I” had been put to one side I could see the world as it really was. And there was nothing trivial about its appearance: instead it was full of beauty and joy. [Rabindranath Tagore]

      All is everywhere. Each is there All, and All is each. Man as he now is has ceased to be the All. But when he ceases to be an individual he raises himself again and penetrates the whole world. [Plotinus]

      The more God is in all things, the more He is outside them. The more He is within, the more without. [Meister Eckhart]

      The Atman is that by which the universe is pervaded, but which nothing pervades. [Shankara]

      [The Principle] is in all things, but is not identical with beings, for it is neither differentiated nor limited. [Chuang Tzu]

      The Beloved is all in all; the lover merely veils Him. [Jalal-uddin Rumi]

      Strictly speaking, there is no path to unity consciousness. Unity consciousness is not a particular experience among other experiences, not a big experience opposed to small experiences. . . . Rather, it is every wave of present experience just as it is. And how can you contact present experience? There is nothing but present experience, and there is definitely no path to that which already is. . . . It is for all these reasons that the true sages proclaim there is no path to the Absolute, no way to gain unity consciousness. . . . We won’t hold still long enough to understand our present condition. And in always looking elsewhere, we are actually moving away from the answer, in the sense that if we are always looking beyond, the essential understanding of the present condition will not unfold. . . .We are not really searching for the answer—we are fleeing it. ........................ You don’t look at the sky, you are the sky. Awareness is no longer split into a seeing subject in here and a seen object out there. There is just pure seeing. Consciousness and its display are not-two…The pure Emptiness of the Witness turns out to be one with every form that is witnessed, and that is one of the basic meanings of ”nonduality. [Ken Wilber]

      Your very existence has been delivered from all limitations; you have become open, light, and transparent. You gain an illuminating insight into the very nature of things which now appear to you as so many fairy-like flowers having no graspable realities. Here is manifested the unsophisticated self which is the original face of your being; here is shown all bare the most beautiful landscape of your birthplace. There is but one straight passage open and unobstructed through and through. This is so when you surrender all—your body, your life, and all that belongs to your inmost self. This is where you gain peace, ease, non-doing, and inexpressible delight. All the sutras and sastras are no more than communications of this fact; all the sages, ancient as well as modern, have exhausted their ingenuity and imagination to no other purpose than to point the way to this. [D.T. Suzuki]

      To sum up, in nondual consciousness, consciousness has experientially accessed its”ground” nature, and is aware of itself as pure sentience, transcendent of subject-object distinctions, and present in all apparent subjects and objects. As a consequence of stably experiencing its ground nature, consciousness has shed the sheath of egoic identity, becoming free of motivations, fears, and anxieties related to the bodybased, conceptual construct of a separate and bounded self. Knowing itself as the unchanging substratum of the phenomenal world, consciousness imbues living with a profound equanimity amidst diverse events.

      Free of the perplexing influence of dualistic mentality, the consciousness of the mystic engages the flow of life with intuitive spontaneity and cognitive clarity. In the absence of emotional negativity, the intrinsically loving and joyful qualities of consciousness form an affective base that informs life with an abiding sense of blessedness and identity with all that exists.

      ~ ~ ~