#4677 - Saturday/Sunday, August 11/12, 2012

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights Issue #4677, Saturday/Sunday, August 11/12, 2012

      Cup and Ocean

      These forms we seem to be are cups floating in an ocean
      of living consciousness.

      They fill and sink without leaving an arc of bubbles or
      any good-bye spray. What we

      are is that ocean, too near to see, though we swim in it
      and drink it in. Don't

      be a cup with a dry rim, or someone who rides all night
      and never knows the horse

      beneath his thighs, the surging that carries him along.

      - Rumi, version by Coleman Barks from The Soul of Rumi, posted to AlongTheWay

      Empty Boat

      Some huge work goes on growing. How
      could one person's words matter? Where

      you walk, heads pop from the ground. What
      is one seed head compared to yours? On

      my death day I'll know the answer. I have
      cleared this house, so that your work can,

      when it comes, fill every room. I slide
      like an empty boat pulled over water.

      - Rumi, Ghazal 622, version by Coleman Barks from The Soul of Rumi, posted to Sunlight

      By plucking her petals, you do not
      gather the beauty of the flower.

      Clouds come floating into my life,
      no longer to carry rain or usher storm,
      but to add colour to my sunset sky.

      Death is not extinguishing the light;
      it is only putting out the lamp
      because the dawn has come.

      Do not say, 'It is morning,'
      and dismiss it with a name of yesterday.
      See it for the first time
      as a newborn child that has no name.

      Don't limit a child to your own learning,
      for he was born in another time.

      Emancipation from the bondage of the soil
      is no freedom for the tree.

      Every child comes with the message
      that God is not yet discouraged of man.

      Every difficulty slurred over
      will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on.

      Everything comes to us that belongs to us
      if we create the capacity to receive it.

      Faith is the bird that feels the light
      when the dawn is still dark.

      From the solemn gloom of the temple
      children run out to sit in the dust,
      God watches them play and forgets the priest.

      I have become my own version of an optimist.
      If I can't make it through one door,
      I'll go through another door - or I'll make a door.
      Something terrific will come
      no matter how dark the present.

      - Rabindranath Tagore, posted to The_Now2

      The moon has come back out,
      the other moon, that was never above us,
      or seen in dreams, the moon that brings fire
      and pours wine, the host that cooks us
      to tenderness.

      Our eyes look at the prepared sight
      and say, Well done. Bravo!

      Then we remember the ocean
      and leap out of our personalities into that.
      Try to find us!

      The sun goes down,
      with a line of clouds running to catch up.

      - Rumi, Ghazal 310. version by Coleman Barks from These Branching Moments, posted to Sunlight