#4667 - Thursday, August 2, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3 6:24 AM

      #4667 - Thursday, August 2, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Wherever you go you will find your teacher,
      As long as you have the eyes to see
      And the ears to hear.

      ~ Shunryu Suzuki

      "It is not enough to be compassionate. You must act. There are
      two aspects to action. One is to overcome the distortions and
      afflictions of your own mind, that is, in terms of calming and
      eventually dispelling anger. This is action out of compassion. The
      other is more social, more public. When something needs to be
      done in the world to rectify the wrongs, if one is really
      concerned with benefitting others, one needs to be engaged,
      involved. "

      ~ His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama

      From the book, 'Ocean of Wisdom,' published by Clear Light.
      via Daily Dharma

      "The dark place isn’t inherently there. If, with conscious
      compassionate awareness, we closely examine what we experience
      as the dark place, there’s nothing there. Fear and avoidance keep
      the 'dark place within' intact. If you had a motorcycle, and you
      took it apart and spread its components around on the garage
      floor, would there be one particular component that was the
      essence of motorcycle and could not sensibly be called anything
      else? No. Motorcycle is a word we give to an assemblage of
      parts. The same is true of fear, anger, sadness…

      The apparent 'separateness' and 'realness' of things does not
      bear up under scrutiny. All who have confronted that apparent
      'dark place' have lived to tell about it. And every step on any
      true spiritual path is best taken with kindness and compassion
      for oneself. When we can approach any difficulty with an
      attitude of 'compassion no matter what,' we might as well stay
      right where we are because there is no better place."

      ~ Cheri Huber from an email class on Nothing is Wrong With You

      via Daily Dharma

      Our fear, our anger are not our enemies; they are us. We have to
      treat our fear, our anger in a most non-violent way, the most
      non-dualistic way, like we are treating our own baby.

      ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

      "Feelings, whether of compassion or irritation, should be
      welcomed, recognized, and treated on an absolutely equal basis;
      because both are ourselves. The tangerine I am eating is me. The
      mustard greens I am planting are me. I plant with all my heart
      and mind. I clean this teapot with the kind of attention I would
      have were I giving the baby Buddha or Jesus a bath. Nothing
      should be treated more carefully than anything else. In
      mindfulness, compassion, irritation, mustard green plant, and
      teapot are all sacred."

      ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

      "A human being is like a television set with millions of channels....
      We cannot let just one channel dominate us. We have the seed
      of everything in us, and we have to recover our own
      sovereignty."

      ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

      Excellent talk on anger, despair and activism.
      Ram Dass interviews Thich Nhat Hanh at the State of the
      World forum, September 1995

      "Live your daily life in such a way that understanding and
      compassion can be shared with as many people around you as
      possible. Cultivating peace is not a matter of days; it should be
      cultivated generation after generation. Your children and your
      grandchildren will be your continuation as practitioners of
      peace. The question is not how much you can do; the question is
      whether you are doing your best. If you are doing your best
      then you are in the Pure Land of the Buddha, in the Kingdom of
      God.

      You don’t have to worry anymore."

      ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
      via Tao & Zen on Facebook