#4663 - Thursday, July 26, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2012

      #4663 - Thursday, July 27, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Hi Jerry,

      The item below appeared today at 3quarksdaily. Thought you might find it interesting.  ~eric.

      Ministers In Charge Of Individuals

      we have no parents no children no flesh-and-blood
      loves we have no homes we have god
      we haven’t got him in the sky and not in the depths not
      in stones we have no prophets we have no teachers
      we have no permitted books no forbidden
      books we have god we don’t love him
      we don’t hate him we aren’t friendly with him
      we have nothing but “I” nothing but self
      we are the ministers of individuals

      by Benjamin Shvili

      from Shiray ha tie-ar hagadol
      publisher: Schocken, Tel Aviv, 1999
      translation: Lisa Katz, 2012

      from Dutch Treat, by Zil Chezero

      “If your book was about realization, the title would be You are not what you are,” says
      the man, grinning and still looking at me with the same friendliness as before. Unmoved
      kindness, I find myself thinking. I didn’t know that was possible. But still his answer
      makes no sense to me. “I don’t understand,” I blurt, trying desperately to get a grip on
      his answers. You’re not what you are? How, what…?

      “Of course you don’t understand,” he replies, “because if you could, it wouldn’t be
      about realization. But can you follow it?” Now I am totally lost, and when I hear myself
      answer "Yes," it feels like I have just lost my last ally -still being looked at by those
      unmoved friendly eyes.

      For an instant there is silence: while I can hear the murmuring sounds around me, this
      noise seems to be drawn into a bottomless pit and I’m sucked into it too. I’m here, but I’m
      also gone. What is happening?

      Just as this question comes to my mind, the man says: “Now you are what you are
      again.” “Yes,” I hear myself stammer. “But a moment ago, you were not,” he adds –
      upon which the pit opens up again.

      “You are capable of wavering,” I hear him say. “That is the beginning of bliss and all
      you can ever still wish for. After this the wish might still be there, but just like a shimmer
      in the background. You have disappeared to nurture it. While you’re simply here, you are
      not. You might be able to understand there is something like realization, but that’s always
      looking back, even at that seeming moment. During you can only follow.”

      The eyes don’t let go of me. “This you follow,” the voice observes. “But you will never
      understand. Not this. You might understand all the images and conceptions clinging to it,
      claiming they’re ‘it’, but not this. This is what you are.”

      “What are you doing?” I manage to ask. “Nothing. You did something. You followed.”
      The man puts down his book and again I’m caught by the friendliest placidity I’ve ever
      seen. “Enlightenment can be the effect of realization. Even more so, where realization is
      a fact, enlightenment by definition is the manifest effect. But the other way around,
      enlightenment and realization don’t necessarily have anything to do with each other.
      Again I am able to follow totally what he is saying, and this time I can understand him
      too. For some reason this in fact makes my hunger to know more win out: “Sorry for
      asking, but are you a guru, are you realized yourself?”

      “Nobody is realized,” the man says. “You may call me Zil Chezero. And I don’t work as
      a guru.”

      http://nonduality.com/dutchtreat.htm