#4657 - Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2012

      #4657 - Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Dear Fellow Explorer, Here is the latest poem inspired by a chapter of the same name from the new book 'Awakening and Beyond', Love, Colin

      Why Do Anything?

      by Colin Drake

      “Why do anything?”, a reader asks,

      “If with Awareness I identify,

       Wouldn’t one just sit back and bask,

       In this new definition of I ?”

       For Awareness is always at peace,

      Absolutely silent and utterly still,

      As This surely desires would cease,

      Needing nothing more for life to fill.

      However, this overlooks the measure,

      Of body/mind and the creation,

      Manifest for Its self-knowing and pleasure,

      Achieved by apparent separation.

      In which we are all instruments,

      Through which Awareness can enjoy and sense,

      Sights, sounds, feelings, tastes and the scents,

      Of the cosmos … so immense.

      Body/mind is like a ‘virtual reality host’

      In which Awareness is the ‘player’,

      Aiming to live and enjoy to the utmost

      The world through this ‘outer layer’.

      Deeper than this we can find,

      The constant subjective  presence,

      Consciousness, perceiving body/mind,

      Of all things the ultimate essence.

      So by living life to the full,

      And discovering the true inner Self,

      We can the function of manifestation fulfill,

      Awareness enjoying and ‘knowing Itself’.

      ~ ~ ~

      Colin Drake's e-books are available at

      I know the term “non-dual thinking” is still new or strange to many people. It simply means our ability to read the moment, to read reality in a way that is not judgmental, a way that is not exclusionary of the part that we don’t understand. And it takes practice to learn that. It’s very interesting that the term “non-dual” is taken for granted in three of the Eastern religions: Taoism, Hinduism, and Buddhism. This word would be very familiar to them because it’s the best descriptor of high-level consciousness—when you don’t split everything up according to what you like and what you don’t like. You leave the moment open, you let it be what it is in itself, and you let it speak to you.

      I was able to reintroduce this word for many people in my book, The Naked Now. I would like to continue to build on that because I think it’s central to the reform of religion, to our own spiritual progress, and really to building a necessary bridge between East and West. We had it in the West, but we called it “unitive” consciousness. So it’s just a different word for the same reality. “Non-dual,” however, forces Westerners to struggle, so I think we’ll keep using it. Reality is not totally one, but it is not totally two, either! Stay with that necessary dilemma, and it can make you wise.

      ~ Richard Rohr, 2012
      Adapted from Fr. Richard’s teachings on his lineage.

      Buy The Naked Now at Amazon.com:

      One Track Heart: The Story of Krishna Das won best documentary at Maui Film Festival, June 2012.

      trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY3ot_4hq2o&feature=player_embedded