#4640 - Friday, June 29, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2012

      #4640 -  Friday, June 29, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Notice of an interview with Gary Falk, today, Friday. A really good article about Richard Rohr. And news from Sentient Publications about books and a conference on compassion.

      The interview with Gary Falk should be very interesting and possibly irreverent. He is a long time member of, and contributor to, Nonduality Salon, which alone would make him a unique interview.

      Via Kelly Sammy:

      If you are so inclined, tune in Friday, June 29th: 10-11 AM PST//1-2 PM EST at

      http://www.AcimGatherRadio.org/

      where I will be interviewing Gary Falk -- on his journey of unfolding.

      If you follow the link and directions to paltalk you can come in to the chat
      area and interact LIVE Hope you JOIN US

      ACIM Gather
      www.AcimGatherRadio.org

      ~ ~ ~

      Gary writes:

      If you are interested in checking out Kelly, here's here Facebook page:

      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nurture-Your-Soul/190746237649795

      This is one interview that I will definitely not miss. I just can't wait to
      find out how I am unfolding.

      Gary

      Non-Dualistic Thinking

      June 28, 2012 by Susan Stabile

      One final post prompted by my reading of Richard Rohr’s Falling Upwards.

      Rohr gives one the simplest, yet completely accurate description of dualistic thinking. He writes that dualistic thinking is the “well-practiced pattern of knowing most things by comparison. And for some reason, once you compare or label things (that is, judge) you almost always conclude that one is good and the other is less good or even bad.”

      Rohr presents “seven C’s of delusion, suggesting that the dualistic mind compares, competes, conflicts, conspires, condemns, cancels out any contrary evidence, and crucifies with impunity.

      In contrast, when we grow into nondualistic thinking (he also uses the terms contemplative thinking and both-and thinking), “you no longer need to divide the field of every moment between up and down, totally right or totally wrong, with me or against me. It just is. This calm allows you to confront what must be confronted with even greater clarity and incisiveness.

      Dualistic thinking is not inherently bad. Rohr suggests it is very helpful – even necessary – in the first half of life. The hope, however, is that as we move to the second-half of life, we can grow from dualistic thinking to nondualistic thinking. “Nondualistic thinking presumes that you have first mastered dualistic clarity, but also found it insufficient for the really big issues like love, suffering, death, God, and any notion of infinity. In short, we need both.”

      For what it is worth, regarding how we move to nondualistic thinking, I think Rohr’s The Naked Now: Learning to See as the Mystics See is an wonderful book to read.

      Read the latest newsletter from Sentient Publications:

      http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=7kubw6bab&v=001jZ0SncZoWrPJtQsQA-2jH-_An7_DRcULf3nk0fdyrpiLE5otxKSVMoJT7cTLAjb9btDE68yLkP8VPCHFegcDPpHsJ7KjBAf9vsIL8K70NP8%3D

      (Don't worry, it's a real link!)

      Here are a few things you'll find in the newsletter:

      30% Off on New Release and Award Winner

      FREE SHIPPING on all U.S. orders

      New Release:

      SCHOOL STRUGGLES
      A Guide To Your Shut-down Learner's Success

      Richard Selznick, PhD

      School Struggles, Dr. Richard Selznick's follow-up to the acclaimed The Shut-Down Learner, details a broader scope of potential problems faced by schoolchildren and offers techniques and insights to help them learn. Dr. Selznick explores reading and writing issues, behavioral problems, difficulties with organization, social skills, medication, parents' interactions with teachers, excessive use of technology, the importance of patience, and more. The practical, down-to-earth tone and helpful, easily applicable tools make this book a godsend for parents staying awake at night worrying about their child's learning and school experience.

      New Award Winner!

      The Tao of Walt Whitman won the Gold Award in the Mind, Body, and Spirit category for ForeWord Reviews, a journal dedicated to reviewing independently published books. The book was selected by dozens of librarians and booksellers who are experts in the subject matter of the books they judged, and who make purchasing decisions daily for their collections or bookstores.

      Walt Whitman's radiant poetry is a source of contemporary inspiration. His ecumenical wisdom, which includes both transcendentalism and realism, is encapsulated here in short verses for each day of the year. These, along with a daily action step, become a springboard for readers to transform themselves. The sublime poetry combined with exercises for self-reflection will make this unique pocket-sized daybook a constant companion for those seeking greater balance in their lives.

      Upcoming Event

      On July 19-22 in Telluride, Colorado, Sentient Publications will be partnering with The Stanford University Center for Compassion and Altruism Research and Education (CCARE) to present The Science of Compassion: Origins, Measures and Interventions, the first large-scale international conference of its kind dedicated to study of compassion. The event will provide an unprecedented gathering of leading experts in research on compassion, altruism, social connection and service to discuss their latest findings. The conference will explore the origins of compassion and compassionate action, how it can be measured, and how we can foster it through interventions.

      The conference is open to researchers and the general public. Among the presenters are key figures in Psychology such as Dr. Phil Zimbardo and keynote speakers Dr. Richard Davidson, pioneering researcher on meditation and brain function, and Dr. Paul Ekman, groundbreaking emotion researcher.  Other invited speakers include such distinguished scholars as Thupten Jinpa Langri (His Holiness the Dalai Lama's long-time translator).

      Get details here: