#4639 - Monday, June 28, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2012

      #4639 - Monday, June 28, 2012 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      But I'll tell you what hermits realize. If you go off into a far, far forest and
      get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything.
      ~ Alan Watts

      When, at some point, there is a spontaneous surrender of the personal needs,
      preferences, desires, opinions, and beliefs that function as 'reality filters,' the
      realization of your true identify may spontaneously arise. When this happens
      there will be no more questions. You see that everything is the answer - that the
      guru is and has always been completely present. He manifests as the person,
      inner voice, or happening that triggers this surrender. Any way the invitation is
      extended, it functions as the guru. It may be silence from a sage or words from
      a shopkeeper. The surrender may come through agony or ecstasy. It can happen
      through an apple falling on your head; it can come from the smile of a child; or it
      can arise from deep inside as you walk along a beach at sunset or when your burn
      your finger on the stove. At any time, your sense of separation may dissolve to
      reveal the One beyond all duality.

      ~ Leo Hartong

      Awakening to the Dream, Trafford, 2001
      via Along The Way

      What Is There Beyond Knowing?

      What is there beyond knowing that keeps
      calling to me?  I can't

      turn in any direction
      but it's there.  I don't mean

      the leaves' grip and shine or even the thrush's
      silk song, but the far-off

      fires, for example,
      of the stars, heaven's slowly turning

      theater of light, or the wind
      playful with its breath;

      or time that's always rushing forward,
      or standing still

      in the same -- what shall I say --
      moment.

      What I know
      I could put into a pack

      as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it
      on one shoulder,

      important and honorable, but so small!
      While everything else continues, unexplained

      and unexplainable.  How wonderful it is
      to follow a thought quietly

      to its logical end.
      I have done this a few times.

      But mostly I just stand in the dark field,
      in the middle of the world, breathing

      in and out.  Life so far doesn't have any other name
      but breath and light, wind and rain.

      If there's a temple, I haven't found it yet.
      I simply go on drifting, in the heaven of the grass
      and the weeds.

      ~ Mary Oliver ~

      (New and Selected Poems Volume Two)

      Web archive of Panhala postings: www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html