#4630 - Tuesday/Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2012
      #4630 -  Tuesday/Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      FINDING THE LION’S ROAR THROUGH NONDUAL PSYCHOTHERAPY: Leaving the spiritual teacher behind to directly embrace nondual being.

      Written by Gary Nixon – Paradoxica: Journal of Nondual Psychology, Vol. 4: Spring 2012

      Summary

      This article is a summary of a nondual psychotherapy session with a long time spiritual seeker of 40 years who had worked hard on a meditative path with a guru, but had not experienced an awakening. In the session, he is introduced to some nondual pointers to help him realize that it is all available right here, right now, he has to only see it. Over reliance on another, letting go of effort, embracing no knowing, realizing nothing can be done, coming to the end of seeking and stopping, sitting in one’s own awareness, abiding in consciousness, and taking the ultimate medicine are all reviewed to invite the long term seeker to see "this is it."

      Gary Nixon, Ph.D.

      is a nondual transpersonal psychologist and an Associate Professor in Addictions Counselling at the University of Lethbridge. He was drawn to eastern contemplative traditions after an existential world collapse in the early 1980’s. After a tour through many eastern teachers such as Osho, Krishnamurti, Nisargadatta, and Papaji, he completed his Master’s and doctorate in Counselling Psychology and embraced the work of Ken Wilber and A.H. Almaas. He has had a nondual psychology private practice and been facilitating nondual groups over the last ten years. 2

      Deconstructing Reliance on the Awakened Other

      I received the call from Tim (a pseudonym). He reported 40 years of intense Buddhist meditation in a Buddhist community with an enlightened teacher, all of the years trying to become enlightened, but still no awakening. He was desperate, so he booked a nondual psychotherapy session with me for the next day.

      As a nondual psychotherapist, I looked forward to a session with an end of the line client. I recognized the seeker’s dilemma of having a wonderful guru. People have been enchanted with Krishnamurti (1954), with Nisargadatta (1973), with Osho (1979, 1994, 2002), with Papaji (Poonjua, 2000), with Adi Da (1978), with Trungpa (1973), and now lately, Adyashanti (2008). I smiled as I had been enchanted myself with Osho at one time. Somehow, a person thinks the connection with the wondrous being is going to take you "home." So, over and over a person goes, repeating the same paths. In Osho’s repertoire of over 650 books and thousands of taped discourses, there is always another book to read, another discourse to listen to, another meditation to try. And when the whole routine is concluded, the mind loves to start all over again expecting different results. Exhaustion settles in. The path begins to appear hopeless but a person may avoid processing this (Sylvester, 2005), particularly after investing so much time and effort with the guru. The longer the commitment, the larger the projection relating to the guru, and the more insurmountable the whole awakening process looks for the ordinary person. Like Tim, I know the story, "I have a wondrous guru, I could never be like him." This sets up a perpetual double bind. You believe your guru has the answer for you, but he/she is so wondrous you could never exist as he/she does. The result is bewilderment and dependency.

      To get unstuck from this sticky place, if a person realizes nobody is awakened, or "only nobodies are awakened", a whole deconstruction process can occur. Awakening is not, after all, a personal thing, it is simply tuning into an awakened existence. Awakened beings, no matter how grand they appear, are actually just nobodies: nobodies inviting nobodies to realize they are nobody. This is all that is going on. To see awakening as the simple realization that there is no separate self here completely demystifies the whole process. It takes the throne away from all gurus. The open secret, Tony Parsons (2000) reminds us, is all available to us right here, right now. There is no such thing as an inner sanctuary or a privileged few. The invitation is in this moment. No amount of meditation or effort or discipline is necessary to recognize who I already am in this moment. It merely takes a seeing or recognition right here right now. The gateless gate means, that the gate is only an illusion of a boundary, in fact no gate actually exists as "the goose is already out" meaning awakening is already here, it is our own nature. Now all of this, which I could have laid out for Tim in about 2 minutes, would be too much for him, so I decided to break it down a little bit, and take my time with him and spread it over an hour.

      Read the entire article here:

      http://paradoxica.ca/images/volume4/ParadoxicaNixonfinal.pdf