#4623 - Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2012
      #4623 - Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - Editor: Jerry Katz
      Over the years I've published writings on nonduality and schizophrenia. Laura Burke received a diagnosis of schizophrenia in 2005. She is currently completing her Masters Degree in Drama Therapy at Concordia University. She healed and heals by living one day at a time. My understanding is that she never took medication for this diagnosis.
      A couple years ago I had the opportunity of meeting Laura on a city bus and we chatted for about a minute before she had to get off. She strikes you immediately as one of those smart, articulate, humane people you rarely meet and never forget. She recites the following poetry in the third video listed below:
      "My rebirth happened when I decided to accept what I'd been given in my own way, to plant myself on my own turf and say, 'So what. So I do my job well. So I've got an interesting story to tell. Everytime I hear your condescending approval you instigate the removal of my dignity. And I am tempted to say, <Oh yeah? Do you think you know me? Do you think because you give me applause that I can be free?>'"
      I'm pleased to add this issue of the Highlights to the collection of nonduality and schizophrenia on nonduality.com which may be accessed here:
      Laura Burke's visual poem is called Superhero and may be viewed here
      If you watch no other video on this page, watch Supehero.
      It begins with the words, "Wake up!" Somewhere you'll hear her say, "So look not to those who suffer as pillars of strength born with the ability to swim the length of the channel of hope. Look to your self and how your acceptance of their stubborn self-pity and humanity might help them to cope." ... "Hold your loved ones and take in their suffering. Don't make them be heros." ... "I used to own memories, but because of you I sold them... for a future."
      On the following YouTube video it reads, "Laura Burke, the 2009 Inspiring Lives Award recipient, shares her experiences of living with mental illness and the importance of talking about mental health. A skilled writer, Laura describes how tapping into her creativity continues to help her recovery." See
      Here is Laura Burke talking about mental health and reading a poem about it:
      I hope a session on Nonduality and Psychosis could be presented at one of the Science and Nonduality conferences soon, or perhaps the Paradoxica Conference. Actually a conference on Nonduality and Psychiatry would be perfect, if there were one.