#4615 - Saturday/Sunday, June 9/10, 2012

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4615, Saturday/Sunday, June 9/10, 2012

      Maharaj must have been thinking about the subject as he climbed up the steps to his loft-room. He started talking about it as soon as he had taken his seat and settled himself. This was not unusual.

      He said people these days are so much enslaved by the gross utilities of life that they hardly have the time to observe themselves critically. They wake up in the morning and immediately start planning the day's activities. For activity to them is a virtue and contemplative thought a sort of dead fish. If such self-imposed pressure were avoided, they would find it most interesting to watch the process of awakening. They would notice, for instance, that between the period of the deep sleep, when they are not conscious of anything at all, and the time when they are fully awake, there is an interregnum when consciousness is just stirring and the mind weaves its fantasies into a light dream that ends when they are fully awake.

      "What is the first thing that happens when you are awake,?" asked Maharaj. Have you ever really experienced it? And observed it? If you were asked, Maharaj continued, about the first thing that happens when you are awake, you probably be inclined to say that you see the objects in the room. Every object has a three-dimensional form, which is perceived by a 'you'. What is it that perceives the form of an object? Whatever perceives the form of the object must surely exist prior to the object perceived. You can perceive the various objects, including parts of your own body, which are also object to whatever it is that perceives. Therefore, that which perceives is not the body, which is only an object since it also can be perceived. The perceiver is the subject and thing perceived is the object.

      What is it that perceives? It is the consciousness, the being-ness, the I-am-ness, that is the perceiver. As soon as you wake up, if you were not in so much of a hurry to get up and go about your daily routine, you would notice that waking in fact means distinctively 'being present' i.e. conscious of being present, not as a particular individual with such and such a name, but conscious presence as such, which it is that gives sentience to a sentient being and enables the various senses to function.

      You would then realize that there are two notional, but distinct centers. There is this spot of consciousness on behalf of which you instinctively say 'I', and there is the objective centre of the psychosomatic apparatus which acts in the world, with which you mistakenly identify yourself with a particular name. One is subjectively what-you-are as 'I', the other is a physical form which is what-you-appear-to-be as 'me'. Actually, there are no 'me's and 'you's, only 'I'.

      Understand this profoundly - and be free; free of the mistaken identity.

      Then there is the final step to be apprehended. This consciousness is the 'such-ness', the 'taste' of the essence of food of which the body is made and by which it is sustained. to that extent, consciousness too is time-bound like the body. When the body 'dies', consciousness disappears like a flame when the fuel is exhausted. Indeed, consciousness is duration, without which an object would not last long enough to be manifested and perceived. What then, are 'you'? So long as the body exists, you are this conscious presence within, the perceiving principle; when the body dies, 'you' are the Absolute Awareness into which the temporal consciousness merges. And then there is no longer the sense of being present. Remember, therefore, that no 'one' is born and no 'one dies, because all the forms (that appear, remain for the duration and then disappear,) are your expression, your mirrorization.

      - Ramesh Balsekar from No 'One' is Born: No 'One" Dies: Pointers from Nisargadatta Maharaj, posted to ANetofJewels

      Just as a forest conflagration (itself a single body of flame) assumes innumerable forms, so does the formless, nondual Consciousness assume all forms that compose the universe.

      The Mystery of Life: The indivisible pretends to
      be divisible, assumes a point of view, and then
      struggles to, seemingly, regain what it had never
      really lost.

      You're not moving through life like walking through
      some kind of elaborate maze.

      You're actually standing perfectly still...and "Life's
      Maze" is really moving through you.

      So...be "a-mazed!"

      Your life is an incredible gift that you're giving to
      yourself so don't squander it.

      Dance the Dance!

      As someone once said, "The living are few; the
      dead are many."

      - Chuck Hillig from Seeds for the Soul, posted to AlongTheWay

      "I hate a Roman named Status Quo!" he said to me. "Stuff your eyes with wonder," he said, "live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask no guarantees, ask for no security, there never was such an animal. And if there were, it would be related to the great sloth which hangs upside down in a tree all day every day, sleeping its life away. To hell with that," he said, "shake the tree and knock the great sloth down on his ass.

      - Ray Bradbury, from Fahrenheit 451, posted to DailyDharma

      don't go to sleep
      this night
      one night is worth
      a hundred thousand souls

      the night is generous
      it can give you
      a gift of the full moon
      it can bless your soul
      with endless treasure

      every night when you feel
      the world is unjust
      never ending grace
      descends from the sky
      to soothe your souls

      the night is not crowded like the day
      the night is filled with eternal love
      take this night
      tight in your arms
      as you hold a sweetheart

      remember the water of life
      is in the dark caverns
      don't be like a big fish
      stopping the life's flow
      by standing in the mouth of a creek

      even Mecca is adorned with black clothes
      showing that the heavens
      are ready to grace
      the human soul

      even one prayer
      in the Mecca of a night
      is like a hundred
      no one can claim
      sleep can build
      a temple like this

      during a night
      the blessed prophet
      broke all the idols and
      God remained alone
      to give equally to all
      an endless love

      - Rumi, Ghazal 947, translated by Nader Khalili from Rumi, Fountain of Fire, posted to Sunlight

      This World Which Is Made of Our Love for Emptiness

      Praise to the emptiness that blanks out existence. Existence:
      This place made from our love for that emptiness!
      Yet somehow comes emptiness,
      this existence goes.
      Praise to that happening, over and over!
      For years I pulled my own existence out of emptiness.
      Then one swoop, one swing of the arm,
      that work is over.
      Free of who I was, free of presence, free of dangerous fear, hope,
      free of mountainous wanting.
      The here-and-now mountain is a tiny piece of a piece of straw
      blown off into emptiness.
      These words I'm saying so much begin to lose meaning:
      Existence, emptiness, mountain, straw:
      Words and what they try to say swept
      out the window, down the slant of the roof.

      - Rumi, Ghazal 950, version by Coleman Barks, from Open Secret, posted to Sunlight

      TEN YEARS LATER

      When the mind is clear
      and the surface of the now still,
      now swaying water

      slaps against
      the rolling kayak,

      I find myself near darkness,
      paddling again to Yellow Island.

      Every spring wildflowers
      cover the grey rocks.

      Every year the sea breeze
      ruffles the cold and lovely pearls
      hidden in the center of the flowers

      as if remembering them
      by touch alone.

      A calm and lonely, trembling beauty
      that frightened me in youth.

      Now their loneliness
      feels familiar, one small thing
      I've learned these years,

      how to be alone,
      and at the edge of aloneness
      how to be found by the world.

      Innocence is what we allow
      to be gifted back to us
      once we've given ourselves away.

      There is one world only,
      the one to which we gave ourselves
      utterly, and to which one day

      we are blessed to return.

      - David Whyte from The House of Belonging