#4616 - Sunday, June 3, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4616, Sunday, June 3, 2011

      Submerged City

      That city will be no more, no halos
      of spring mornings when green hills
      tremble in the mist and rise
      like barrage balloons -

      and May won't cross its streets
      with shrieking birds and summer's promises.
      No breathless spells,
      no chilly ecstasies of springwater.

      Church towers rest on the ocean's floor,
      and flawless views of leafy avenues
      fix no one's eyes.

      And still we live on calmly,
      humbly - from suitcases,
      in waiting rooms, on airplanes, trains,

      and still, stubbornly, blindly, we seek an image,
      the final form of things
      between inexplicable fits
      of mute despair -

      as if vaguely remembering
      something that cannot be recalled,
      as if that submerged city were travelling with us,
      always asking questions,

      and always unhappy with our answers -
      exacting and perfect in its way.

      - Adam Zagajewski from Eternal Enemies, posted to The_Now2

      Four Questions:

      Who is awake and who asleep?

      What is this lake that is continually
      oozing back into the earth?

      What can a human being offer to God?

      What do we most deeply want?

      The Answers:

      The mind is what sleeps.
      What recognizes itself
      as God is awake.

      This always-disappearing lake
      is made of our appetites,
      these movings-about,
      this talking and listening.

      The only offering you can make to God
      is your increasing awareness.

      And the last desire is
      to be God in human form.

      - Lalla, posted to AlongTheWay

      Before entering the Holy of Holies you must take off your shoes, and not only your shoes but everything, your travelling-clothes and your baggage, and beneath that your nakedness, and everything hidden beneath that, and then the core and the core of the core, then what is left and then the rest and then the light from the imperishable fire.

      - Franz Kafka, posted to allspirit

      -22 - Time's drivers, that we are.
      Its repetitious pace
      is all but effaced
      in what endures forever.

      All which is hurrying
      soon will reach conclusion.
      Only the everlasting
      gives consecration.

      Youth, do not waste your clout
      on the rigors of flight,
      leave trials of speed forsook.

      All these things at last play out:
      darkness and brilliant light,
      flower and book.

      - Rainer Maria Rilke, from The Sonnets to Orpheus, translation by Robert Hunter

      XXVII I'm nobody! Who are you?
      Are you nobody, too?
      Then there 's a pair of us - don't tell!
      They'd banish us, you know.

      How dreary to be somebody!
      How public, like a frog
      To tell your name the livelong day
      To an admiring bog!

      - Emily Dickinson from The Poems of Emily Dickinson

      Of Kingdoms

      'I like to dream of those dead kingdoms' -Su Tung-P'o

      I like to dream of those kingdoms
      where brass glitters and sings,
      and fires flame upward on the hilltops.
      and someone's love dwells in them.
      Later afternoon, in Novemeber,
      I travel by commuter train
      after a long walk;
      around me are tired office workers
      and a mournful old lady
      clutching a dachshund.
      The conductor, alas,
      makes an awkward shaman.
      Life strides over us like Gulliver,
      loudly laughing and crying.

      - Adam Zagajewski from Eternal Enemies, posted to The_Now2

      As soon as you clear your hearing

      the voice of a saviour
      will shortly be heard
      as soon as you
      clear your hearing

      don't drink now
      this polluted water
      the elixir of life
      will soon arrive

      if you desire grace
      lose your selfish self
      till you can taste
      the sweet essence

      in the blackest
      of your moments
      wait with no fear

      since the water of life
      was found by the prophet
      in the darkest caverns

      - Rumi, Ghazal 550, translated by Nader Khalili from Rumi, Fountain of Fire, posted to Sunlight

      More Range

      We're friends with one who kills us,
      who gives us to the ocean waves. We

      love this death. Only ignorance says,
      Put it off a while, day after tomorrow.

      Don't avoid the knife. This friend
      only seems fierce, bringing your soul

      more range, perching your falcon on a
      cliff of the wind. Jesus on his cross,

      Hallaj on his - those absurd killings
      hold a secret. Cautious cynics know

      what they're doing with every moment and why.
      Submit to love without thinking, as

      the sun this morning rose recklessly
      extinguishing our star-candle minds.

      - Rumi,Ghazal 728, version by Coleman Barks from The Soul of Rumi, posted to Sunlight