#4597 - Sunday, May 13, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 2 , May 14, 2012

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4597, Sunday, May 13, 2011

      Blinded by their own sight, hearing, feeling and knowing, they do not perceive the spiritual brilliance of the source substance. If they would only eliminate all conceptual thought in a flash, that source-substance would manifest itself like the sun ascending through the void and illuminating the whole universe without hindrance or bounds.

      - Huang Po, from The Zen Teachings of Huang Po, translated by John Blofeld

      Renouncing all that the mind may conceive, wrapped entirely in the intangible and the invisible, he belongs completely to him who is beyond everything. Here, being neither oneself nor someone else, one is supremely united by a completely unknowing inactivity of all knowledge, and knows beyond the mind by knowing nothing.

      - Dionysius the Areopagite, from Pseudo-Dionysius: The Complete Works, translated by Colm Luibheid

      Great accomplishment seems imperfect,
      Yet it does not outlive its usefulness.
      Great fullness seems empty,
      Yet it cannot be exhausted.

      Great straightness seems twisted.
      Great intelligence seems stupid.
      Great eloquence seems awkward.

      Movement overcomes cold.
      Stillness overcomes heat.
      Stillness and tranquility set things in order in the universe.

      - Lao-tzu from the Tao Te Ching, translation by Gia-fu Feng and Jane English posted to AlongTheWay

      When you lose touch with inner stillness, you lose touch with yourself. When you lose touch with yourself, you lose yourself in the world.

      Your innermost sense of self, of who you are, is inseparable from stillness. This is the I Am that is deeper than name and form.

      - Eckhart Tolle, from Stillness Speaks

      You only perceive that appearance of Brahman that lies in the senses and is in you. Pursue your meditation.

      Disciple, I mean to know.

      I do not imagine 'I know him well,' and yet I cannot say 'I know him not.' Who of us knows this, knows him; and not who says 'I know him not.'

      He comes to the thought of those who know him beyond thought, not to those who imagine he can be attained by thought. He is unknown to the learned and known to the simple.

      He is known in the ecstasy of an awakening which opens the door of life eternal. By the Self we obtain power, and by vision we obtain Eternity.

      For a man who has known him, the light of truth shines; for one who has not known, there is darkness. The wise who have seen him in every being, on leafing this life, attain life immmortal.

      - excerpt from the Kena Upanishad, translated by Juan Mascaro, from The Upanishads

      Come my love
      pass through my will
      as through a window
      shine on my life
      as on a meadow
      I, like the grass,
      to be consumed
      by the rays of the sun
      on a late summer's morning.

      - Thomas Merton

      In Love that Long

      I am here, this moment, inside the beauty,
      the gift God has given,
      our love:

      this gold and circular sign
      means we are free of any duty:

      out of eternity
      I turn my face to you, and into
      eternity:

      we have been in
      love that long.

      - Rumi, Ghazal 2325, version by Coleman Barks, with Nevit Ergin from The Glance, posted to Sunlight

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 2 , May 20, 2012

        Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4597, Sunday, May 13, 2011

        To divide and particularize is the mind's very nature. There is no harm in dividing. But separation goes against fact. Things and people are different, but they are not separate. Nature is one, reality is one. There are opposites, but no opposition.

        ...everbody thinks that compassion is important, and everyone has compassion. True enough, but the Buddha gave uncommon quintessential instructions when he taught the methods for cultivating compassion, and the differences are extraordinarily important.

        - Kenchen Thrangu Rinpoche:from Lectures on Kamalashila's 'Stages of Meditation in the Middle Way School, posted to DailyDharma

        What are you, who are you, where is your heart?

        If you really look, you won't find anything tangible and solid. Of course, you might find something very solid if you have a grudge against someone or you have fallen possessively in love.

        But that is not awakened heart. If you search for awakened heart, if you put your hand through your rib cage and feel for it, there is nothing there except for tenderness. You feel sore and soft, and if you open your eyes to the rest of the world, you feel tremendous sadness. This kind of sadness doesn't come from being mistreated. You don't feel sad because someone has insulted you or because you feel impoverished. Rather, this experience of sadness is unconditioned. It occurs because your heart is completely exposed. There is no skin or tissue covering it; it is pure raw meat. Even if a tiny mosquito lands on it, you feel so touched. Your experience is raw and tender and so personal.

        For the warrior, this experience of sad and tender heart is what gives birth to fearlessness. Conventionally, being fearless means that you are not afraid or that, if someone hits you, you will hit him back. However, we are not talking about that street-fighter level of fearlessness. Real fearlessness is the product of tenderness.

        You are willing to open up, without resistance or shyness, and face the world.

        - Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, from Sacred Path of the Warrior, posted to DailyDharma.

        The law of the universe is cooperation and not competition. It is not warfare. That is the law of the universe, the total solidarity for which the prayers of the ancient sages were directed in such scriptures as the Vedas. The Rigveda concludes with a prayer for universal cooperation, collaboration not merely in a social manner, but even in the field of thinking, in collective aspiration and all activity.

        - Swami Krishnananda from Facets of Spirituality compiled by S. Bhagyalakshmi

        For the liberated mind, death is realized as the unknown potential from which has arisen the birth and life itself. The event of death is seen as just another moment in life, complete and unknown until it arrives.

        But at other times when you say I exist, you are heading towards the perception of a non-state, which is neither of the body nor of the mind. This non-state is being, it is indeterminable, cannot be located mentally or physically. It is neither a thought nor a feeling. This non-state is identical to that of your surroundings. You are of the very same essence. In this non-state there are no surroundings. If there is another, that is, if there are surroundings, there is an I, and vice-versa.

        Our surroundings are not contained by name and form. You are neither the body nor the mind, these are limits you identify with through a lack of clear-sightedness. When you are attentive to a tree or flower, the perception, shape, name and concept are not the only things present. There is also the All-presence that you share with them and that you are both part of. The very name and form spring forth from this eternal background, the All-presence. This is instantaneous awareness that cannot be reached by thought.

        - Jean Klein

        Life is not a task. There is absolutely nothing to attain except the realization that there is absolutely nothing to attain.

        - Tony Parsons, from As It Is - The Open Secret of Spiritual Awakening, posted to AlongTheWay

        So be tender and be present and know that you ARE. That's enough!!!! - Mark